cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 - VM-ware

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Hello,

When we attempt to add an ESX recovery server to Netbackup via VM-server credentials, it never works.

Half the time, Netbackup can not find the server. When it does, it claims the credentials are bad. I am able to log directly in to the ESX host with these credentials. These credentials are the same as Root. The hostname I am using is the exact hostname (case-sensitive) to the hostname in DNS, and what is returned from the ESX host itself with the hostname command.

Any ideas on why Netbackup has such a hard time connecting to ESX servers? Is there a special security setting that needs to be set prior to netbackup being able to communicate?

I have read through their VM guide, and the steps for adding servers is in there, but nothing on what to verify that may cause it not to work. I am able to connect to my virtual center and perform backups/restores that way, but prefer to restore directly to the ESX host.

Netbackup support is .... well its typical Symantec.support.

Netbackup 7
Windows 2003 Master, 2008 Backup/Restore Host.
ESX 4 - VMX 7
11 REPLIES 11

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified
Do you use SSL to authenticate to your ESX servers?

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Yes we do use SSL to connect. I also changed the port to our SSL port. Does NBU support SSL?

Thanks for your reply.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

are you checking Validate Credentials and Connect Using Port Number?

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Yes,

We have our SSL on port 22. I am checking both and changing port to 22. I have also tried 443 for good measure. I get the same results.

Also, this happens when we attempt to connect directly to the ESX host. ESX Restore Host ... We can connect to Virtual center just fine.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Now this is confusing to me :(

are you getting this error while adding vcenter server / esx host / esx restore host..??

for vcenter you have to specify the proper communication port

for esx standalpone host you do not need to give credentials as that will be redirected to esx through vcenter server

esx restore host will be used only for restoration in case restoration is done bypassing vcenter server

also whatever host you are adding in credentials make sure nbu is able to resolve provided name - both forward and reverse

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to add an ESX restore host. I am trying to seperate sets of credentials, and am getting the same results. I am trying root, and another account I made. Both have been allowed shell access as well.

I am getting, login failure (-1). 

I am able to connect to Vcenter, that is working properly. It is only when I attempt to add an ESX server. Both credentials check in fine when I log in to the console on the ESX server. Is there a special set of permissions this account needs?

I have also verified that I am using the correct hostname taken directly from the ESX server. I have also edited the hosts file to make sure the name is exactly as it appears on the host. (case-sensitive). No matter what I try, it kicks it back to me.

Orignialy it could not even find the server, but after deleting the old entry via command line: "nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename esxhost01.SYMantec.com -machinetype virtual_machine", and adding it back, I can now get to it, but I get the credential failed msg.

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Give this a shot -
when configuring virtual esx host use the FQDN (fully qualified) name and not short name.

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Yes, I have been using the FQDN every time per Symantec's documentation. No go.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Below are the possible errors for getting (-1) error while adding vmwar credentials. Check if anyone matches your environment.

VMware credential validation failed. Error: Other error encountered: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (-1) This could mean the wrong port has been specified in Virtual Machine Credentials. For example port is set to 902 when it should be 443.

VMware credential validation failed. Error: Invalid user name or password. (-1)  Verify the username and password in Virtual Machine Credentials were typed in correctly and are correct for the VirtualCenter Server or ESX Host being connected to.

VMware credential validation failed. Error: Other error encountered: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (-1)   The hostname specified in Virtual Machine Credentials is valid in DNS, but the system is not a VMware ESX host or Virtual Center Server. Verify the Virtual Machine Server hostname is correctly specified.

VMware credential validation failed. Error: Other error encountered: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (-1).  This error has been encountered when the port is incorrect or is correct and being bocked by a firewall.

VMware credential validation failed. Error: Other error encountered: SSL Exception: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)(-1)
This error has been seen when the port is a valid port on the VirtualCenter Server or ESX host, but for some other application. Verify the port being specified is correct.

Ahmed_Sharkawy
Level 3
Partner Accredited

check that the name and IP of ESX is founded in VMware Backup Host Server hosts file

AudienceofOne
Level 3

I have one env at a datacenter that I have set up just fine.  At another site I am getting this

VMware credential validation failed. 

Server not found

MM Status -1

I have tried the fqn, connect using port number

Thouhghts?