cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 VMware backup problems

braheem
Level 2

Hi,

I am doing snapshot backups using Netbackup 7 on an ESX 3.5.0 host, I have several VMs created on that host that seem to drop off the network as the snapshot backup is completing. When I look in the event viewer on all the servers that seem to be going offline I do not see anything that would indicate the servers have been rebooted or any processes have been restarted. I have several monitoring tools such as Sitescope, Cacti and smokeping and they all show that the servers are not replying to pings, there is not disk, memory or cpu activity on the servers. The VM servers are Windows 2003 Standard Edition x64. This happens for about 15 to 20 seconds, any idea what is causing this and how to fix this issue?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
VMs are freezing while ESX create their VM snapshot. Anything logged on VMware side?

braheem
Level 2

The only thing I see in my VMware logs is:

Oct 21 18:00:35 <VMHost> vmkernel: 110:05:53:40:707 cpu1:1472)DevFS:2208: Unable to find device: c35b3-<vServer>-4_1-000003-delta.vmdk. This only happens when a snapshot backup has started, it seems to be Netbackup 7 which is causing the server to go offline, I am creating snapshots by using the agentless backup option in Netbackup 7.

Thanks!

Yair
Level 4

Hi, in your VM policy, how many clients do you have?

also, do these clients all run at once?

if they do,

try limiting the jobs per policy, as stated in the "netbackup for VM administrator's guide":

The amount of I/O that occurs on the virtual machine datastore. Backups
should be scheduled when relatively little I/O activity is expected. Reducing
the number of simultaneous backups can also help. (Use the Limit jobs per
policy attribute in the NetBackup policy.)