cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 and Dedupe Option requirements

WeedSupport
Level 3
I'm getting ready to upgrade my Netbbackup 6.5.4 master/media server to 7 and purchase the DeDuplication option.  I'm looking to backup approximately 20 Clients, with a full backup being 1-1.5Tb on Weekends.  the documentation has stated that they want you to have a separate master and media server if you are going to be performing dedupe. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Dedupe, and wanted to know if having a separate master & media server was a requirement.  
Right now my backups will all be to servers local to my datacenter, I have from 4PM to 6AM the next morning to complete daily backups and from Friday night till Monday AM to complete the full backups.  Can I get away with have just 1 master/media server or should I spend the money on new hardware/ software. I feel like with the size of my environment I should be able to handle the dedupe, but do i increase my chances for corruption/ break my NB envionment.

My master/media server is currently running Red Hat has 8 cores and 16Gb of memory.  I will be writing out my backups via NFS to a NetApp San with a 2Gb Ether Channel between them. i will then be using NetApp replication to copy the data to our DR location, no tape drives will be used in our implementation once we go to NB7.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Below mentioned are few points you should know prior going to NBU 7 dedupe option

1. NBU 7 deduplication option is nothing but a PureDisk integration into NBU

2. NBU deduplication option is very particular about hardware requirement. since you have not mentioned Red Hat OS version, check the NBU 7 compatibility list

3. Deduplication cannot be enabled if you have 32 Bit hardware & OS

4. You have mentioned that you are going to upgrade your existing NBU 6.5.4 to NBU 7. Make sure that your master server is 64 Bit hardware and OS otherwise deduplication will not work

5. Symantec recommends not enabling deduplication on master server as deduplication loads the CPU and if your existing server is having load then you end up in performance issue. But if your master server hardware is capable of taking the load the deduplication then you can enable the same on master server itself.

FYI - I have enabled deduplication on master and it is working fine.

Suggestion - You have mentioned that you are going to replication backup data to DR site. Then why not replicating NBU catalog to DR NBU server. NBU 7 RealTime can help you with this.

Hope this answers your queries.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rjrumfelt
Level 6
but if you are thinking about buying new hardware to use dedupe for NBU - that also means you'll have to pay for a license, which is priced by front end data backed up, why not look into a dedup device such as Data Domain?  I've used DD in the past and was very pleased with it.  They are not the cheapest appliances in the world, but if you are already looking at shelling out money for new hardware and licenses, it might be worth looking into.

WeedSupport
Level 3
4k for a license vs 100k for dedupe...stop trying to sell their stuff.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
There are cheaper dedupe appliances out there.  It was just a suggestion.  I have no prior experience with NBU dedupe, so I can't speak to that.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

I know Netbackup DeDup technology is the integration of PureDisk which works pretty well with small environments like this, dont know about the licencing and a second master and media, but I think it is because of the workload a DeDup box demands, normaly all DD's are on second boxes as FalconStor SIR, that demands a lot of horse power, consider that before you put everything under the same box. Probably you will only need a couple of Media servers added to your Master Server because I will assume those are the ones who will run the DeDup, so better ask Symantec, but for something like this dont go DataDomain or FalconStor.

Hope this helps.
regards.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Below mentioned are few points you should know prior going to NBU 7 dedupe option

1. NBU 7 deduplication option is nothing but a PureDisk integration into NBU

2. NBU deduplication option is very particular about hardware requirement. since you have not mentioned Red Hat OS version, check the NBU 7 compatibility list

3. Deduplication cannot be enabled if you have 32 Bit hardware & OS

4. You have mentioned that you are going to upgrade your existing NBU 6.5.4 to NBU 7. Make sure that your master server is 64 Bit hardware and OS otherwise deduplication will not work

5. Symantec recommends not enabling deduplication on master server as deduplication loads the CPU and if your existing server is having load then you end up in performance issue. But if your master server hardware is capable of taking the load the deduplication then you can enable the same on master server itself.

FYI - I have enabled deduplication on master and it is working fine.

Suggestion - You have mentioned that you are going to replication backup data to DR site. Then why not replicating NBU catalog to DR NBU server. NBU 7 RealTime can help you with this.

Hope this answers your queries.

WeedSupport
Level 3
I am running on a compatible version of x64 red hat.  My biggest question was to see if i could just run De Dupe on the master/media server in a production situation.  I've been ok doing it in some limited testing, but wanted to know if anyone else had done that full time.

on a weeknight i'll be lucky if i'm backing up 600gb, weekends 1 TB and i have a pretty big window to perform the backups to my SAN via NFS.

My Master/Media Server is an 8 Core Intel box with 16Gb of memory.  I know management would like to be prudent with our dollars, and if we can do this all with just 1 server at the moment i know it's their preference. I just don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I'm currently replicating my catalog to Dr via my SAN, but will investigate the RealTime.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Deduplication even works with my lab at VMWare on my ThinkPad laptop.
Using DD or whatever device for 1Tb of backups is overkill. 

After all 1Tb is not that big amount anyway.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As I've already said DD works only if there's x64 hardware and OS. I had tested DD in vmware and it worked.

After that I had checked it in production and there also it worked fine.

I'd just say that just go ahead and configure the same it should work. 

Prior just go through the DD config guide and system requirements.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello Weed,

Does that worked for you??

Share us the results :)

WeedSupport
Level 3
i know i can dedupe on a master/media server I've tested that sucessfully, the feature won't be going into production for a few weeks.

Saravana
Level 3
Do we need separate license key to activate Deduplication... 
and kindly share me the procedure for configuring it from both client and media server side!