Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 in a solaris zone

Mozje
Level 3
Partner
Hey all,

I have finally found my way to the netbackup boards and sadly enough my first contribution has to be a question. But that's probably how most people start ;) Anyhow I'm wondering if anyone had already tried to install NBU7 master within a solaris zone. Accoording to me it is supported and the installation of the master server software went perfectly. However when trying to implement NBAC I need to install VRTSat and VRTSaz, both of which don't want to play ball within a solaris zone they tell me.

Soooooooooooooo, did anyone get this to work already, is it impossible ? Is it possible to run the veritas authenticatio and authorisation on another server then the master and still implement NBAC, or there cons or pros of doing it that way ?

Any feedback what so ever would be greatly appreciated and save me the cost of buying 2 physical machines to build up my master :)

Grtz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: NetBackup Support for SUN Virtualization
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315561.htm

"...
The ICS Installer will not allow installation of any package on a local zone.  Therefore, all the packages will have to be installed manually (in order):

1) To install ICSCO and PBX:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSicsco VRTSpbx

2) To install AT:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSat

3) To install AZ:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSaz
..."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: NetBackup Support for SUN Virtualization
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315561.htm

"...
The ICS Installer will not allow installation of any package on a local zone.  Therefore, all the packages will have to be installed manually (in order):

1) To install ICSCO and PBX:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSicsco VRTSpbx

2) To install AT:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSat

3) To install AZ:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSaz
..."

Mozje
Level 3
Partner
Hey Andy,

thanks for the fast reply! As a matter of fact I did have a quick look at the technote you quote. The problem isn't so much into installing the packages, that went OK from the global zone as mentioned by the article. It's more that I can't seem to be able to  configure the packages afterwards.

If I launch the insallics script in the local zone after package installation, the text wizard correctly shows them as installed, however when I press C to configure them, it prompts me again that it's not in a global zone and exits.
When I try to configure the vxat manually to be root broker by issuing the "vxatd -o -a -r " it returns a weird error... Can post that error later.

So the hunt for a solution (if any) continues :)

Mozje
Level 3
Partner

Just to followup on my own forum thread ;o I have opened a case with symantec to verify if NBAC can indeed work in a solaris zone as I can't get it to work. Installing the packages from the global zone is fne, however when trying to configure VRTSat in the local zone using the script I get:

CPI ERROR V-9-2-1029 Installation on or from local zones is not supported

query'ing the broker mode shows me:

./vssat showbrokermode
showbrokermode
----------------------
----------------------

Broker mode is :        0

----------------------

and finally when i attempt to manually configure I get:
 ./vxatd -o -a -r
(494|1) Failed to open file </etc/securetty>. Errno = <2>. [utils.cpp(1225)].

Will update this thread for future reference when I get something back from symantec support.

Grtz

Mozje
Level 3
Partner
I will mark Andy's entry als the solution. My problem was caused due to unix config used at our enterprise, namely there is no /etc/securetty file. After creating this manually everything went smooth, to sum it up:
1. pkgadd in global zone from vrtsat and vrtsaz
2. manually configure vrtsat in localzone by issuing vxatd -o -a -r