cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.x Bandwidth Trottling

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup bandwidth trottling is limited to 10000KB, i.e 10MB/s - this is by design.

Can this limit not be increased to compensate for newer technology, or does changing changing the registry/bp.conf setting do the trick-

My scenario is backing up exchange 2010 DAG (passive node), where the client sends data so fast maxing it's interface and causing backup to fail with socket write errors. Hence, I have used bandwidth trottling to limit...

Limiting the bandwidth to 50/70Mb/s for now should work - LTO3 drives used.

There is nothing in the admin guides detailing the max usage but just an example.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This is a fairly old tech note, but I think it' still valid:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30467

The last value is the amount of KB/sec you want the bandwidth throttled to. I do not see a 10MB/sec as restriction so changing the registry on the client should do the job.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This is a fairly old tech note, but I think it' still valid:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30467

The last value is the amount of KB/sec you want the bandwidth throttled to. I do not see a 10MB/sec as restriction so changing the registry on the client should do the job.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Well who would have thought going fast would ever be bad :p

Please try setting it to higher value in the registry and let us know if it works.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you checked if flow control is enabled on nic and switche?. Normal tcp flow control ensure data isn't send faster than the peer can receive them.

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPWindowSizeAdjustmentandFlowControl.htm

UFO
Level 6

Agree. It is always botlleneck on the slowest part of the NBU chain but anyway - there is will be no overload when the channel is thin. Data will just go slower.

UFO
Level 6

Mohamed, could you please clarify why you want "this limit not be increased"?

RiaanBadenhorst

Volo,

He asked why it cannot, or has not been increased, since the earlier release of the product when 10 or 100mbps was the standard in the indutry.

He requires a higher value for the limit

R

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Nicolai - nice link to TCP fundamental (simple) -

The client does not have a bandwidth setting - this change is only affected on the Master server.

Will check Flow Control setting - Currently Defaults are used.

Riaan - in the test lab (standalone and not clustered master) the setting (registry) can be changed to a higher value, which reflects correctly on the master - however when attempting to change the IP address range, it requires not more than 10000KB.

Services were happily restarted....no errors noted..yet

I will be testing the backup shortly and post progress.

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Just on Limits -

Netbackup Version 6.5.6 allows a max of 32767KB - 32MB/s.

Netbackup 7.x has limit to 10000KB - 10MB/s

UFO
Level 6

Oh, now I see :)

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Have now changed the registry setting to 50000KB on a production system - clustered master - no problems with this so far...phew

limit registers as 50000KB in gui.

Now for the backup test.....

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Backup runs at the desired speed......

Changing the registry setting for LIMIT_BANDWIDTH_USAGE for a client does go into effect when running backups.

i.e although the gui only allows upto 10000KB (10MB/s)(NB7.x) - the setting can be manually changed in the registry to whatever other value is required.

I guess with a bit of work, you will inevitably reach a solution.

Thanks ALL for the input.

Should this now be reported as a TWEAK or BUG..?

RiaanBadenhorst

Well done, you defeated the GUI :)

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since you can set it outside the GUI and not with the GUI, I'd report it as a defect in the GUI and see if we'll build you an EEB to fix the GUI.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm assuming all this is supported - I can't imagine why it wouldn't be!)

Marianne
Level 6

Seems that Nicolai's post called "old tecnote" deserves to be marked as solution?

Thanks for a very interesting topic, Mo! yes I still learn something new everyday on this forum!

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5

Agreed, Nicolai's research deserves the Solution -

There is no MAX limit that can be set when changing the registry for the value of LIMIT_BANDWIDTH. Tested, bearing in mind server NIC limit on both ends.

Will report as 'possible' bug/defect.

UFO
Level 6

+1
Encourage everyone vote for this comment by Mo!

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Very interesting finding you have. Thank for sharing this with us.