cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.x requires an Appliance to access fiber channel libraries?

weq92f
Level 2

Getting set to deploy a few SL150's on Redhat via fiber channel.  According to the Netbackup compatibility document, this combination apparently requires the use of a 5200 or 5300 series PBBA.

Is it possible to run the Oracle/Sun SL150 fiber channel library ( or any other fiber channel library ) with Netbackup 7.x on Redhat without being required to purchase an "Appliance" to sit in the middle ( between the library and the host linux box )?

What other options are there for fiber channel libraries with respect to the Netbackup software tree?  I'm being forced to use Netbackup, but I do not want to be forced to purchase a proprietary PBBA to access a fiber channel library.

Thanks,

-klb

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No idea where in the HCL you are reading that.
Any supported FC devices that can be seen by the OS can be configured in NBU.

We have been using FC tape libraries and tape drives on Unix, Linux and Windows media servers long before Appliances existed.

Indeed, that is my experience as well with several other B&R software titles.  Glad to know NBU does support FC outside of their proprietary appliance hardware environment.  

Thanks,

-klb

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here is a link to the 7.7 H/ware compatability guide.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000025228

As you can see, there is a wide range of libraries supported ...

Sometimes the compatability guide can be a little difficult to understand, so any quiestions ask away, and myself, Marianne or one of the others will assist.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for the link Martin.

I think I understand where the confusion came in - "This library is supported with NetBackup 5200 Series and 5300 Series Appliances" means that the tape library is ALSO supported with Appliances. Not ONLY with Appliances. 

You maybe want to read through the "Tape Libraries - Considerations" section as well where OS platform support in general is mentioned.