cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8.0 vcenter plugin - add to backup vm

dokhook
Level 3

We are considering option to use Veristas Netbackup plug-in as option to our sys admins to add virtual machine into specific backup policy.

As far as I can see in plug-in documentation there is only available option to Restore some VM from netbackup, but not to include into policy.

Am I getting it right?

Do you have some ideas how to do it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. The plugin does not provide access to policy config on the master server.

Best to have Vmware Intelligent Policies with selection criteria that will automatically pick up new VMs as and when they are added.

View solution in original post

Vmware Intelligent Policies looks very usable.

But we should in query builder use something that is called "vSphere custom filed":

[vSphere custom attributes]

Alphanumeric string

The value of a custom attribute that is set in vSphere Client for one or more virtual machines.

Note: in vSphere Client, the attribute must have a value for at least one virtual machine. The attribute type must be Virtual Machine.

The values are case-sensitive.

Does anyone know how to add them in a query?

I can't see any example in documentation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mike_Gavrilov

AFAIR Netbackup plug-in doesn't allow to add anything to policies. 

You need to use NBAC but you have to deligate editing all policies permission to your sys admins

Marianne

Correct. The plugin does not provide access to policy config on the master server.

Best to have Vmware Intelligent Policies with selection criteria that will automatically pick up new VMs as and when they are added.

Vmware Intelligent Policies looks very usable.

But we should in query builder use something that is called "vSphere custom filed":

[vSphere custom attributes]

Alphanumeric string

The value of a custom attribute that is set in vSphere Client for one or more virtual machines.

Note: in vSphere Client, the attribute must have a value for at least one virtual machine. The attribute type must be Virtual Machine.

The values are case-sensitive.

Does anyone know how to add them in a query?

I can't see any example in documentation.

Never mind - I've found some custom fields, and they are displayed in [...] with their custom name.

Tried some test queries - and hope it will work the way I'm expecting.

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I was checking my environment and I can see that.

From VMware Vsphere Web console I can see that there is a column to specify what type of environment the VM belongs...For example, here the VMware admins made:

Backup
Contingency
Development
DR
Ratification-Homologation
Legacy
Production
Template
Test

VM0101.jpg

From netbackup intelligent policy there is a field called Ambiente ( environment), so according to this option I can choose VMs to make backup according with it environment.

VM02.JPG

So I understand that this field called Ambiente ( environment), from VMware web console can be configured as you want and we can see from Netbackup  policy. May be this field can be customized by vmware admin with another name. Take a look:

Note: in vSphere Client, the attribute must have a value for at least one virtual machine. The attribute type must be Virtual Machine. The values are case-sensitive

VM0303.jpg

I hope that can help you.

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro