cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8.1 MSDP Media server HA

alpha_it
Level 3

Hi,

I just want to know how can I protect Netbackup Media Server that serves MSDP.

Is it possible to protect MSDP Media server with Veritas InfoScale Enterprise Solution? I mean 
HA clustering of two node with InfoScale and sharing MSDP Storage path and MSDP Catalog path
between nodes. Because MDSP has Single-Point-of-Failure in its compute resource.

As I know the Netbackup appliance has this feature out of the box supporting HA between Media
server Appliances. So, I want to know how is it possible to deploy that without Netbackup appliance
and by installing Media server software installation.

thank you in advance

4 REPLIES 4

pats_729
Level 6
Employee

Currently, BYO Media servers are not supported in HA. Only 5340 Appliance is supported.

You can alternatively, create RAID6 configuration for Data and RAID 0+1 for MSDP DB partition.

Hi pats_729,

Thank you for your attention and reply,

So, there is no way to protect MSDP Media server with Veritas InfoScale?!

Is there any plan to adding this feature to Netbackup?

Single Point of Failure of PHY Media server in MSDP is very terrible for such sensitive component of Storage
Infrastructure in Netbackup and must be addressed, I think.

Regards

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It depends on what are you trying to achieve.

If you are worried about the data, your first action point should be to configure the replication in SLP, preferably to a different site. If it's ingestion load balancing etc you can configure additional media servers to perform deduplication.

In the backup world pretty much any back-end dedupe storage has one or another compromise in its availability, at the same time, NBU can give you sufficient options to satisfy any level of paranoia, including performing inline multiple copies to different storage units each coupled with replication peers etc.

ReOn_Xer
Level 3
Employee

Hi,

Not sure if you ever seen this technote. Link: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100004411

This feature was already removed since 7.x. 

Regards,
ReOnXer