cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8.1 client and Windows failover cluster

AnthonyBar
Level 3
Hi all, I'm trying to install and configure new Windows filers failover cluster on Windows 2012 R2. I've installed client on both Windows server. Access them from admin console is OK. When I want to add virtual name of this cluster on policy, I've received this error : "Unable to connect to Netbackup host" When I look in client properties, I've see that : "The vnetd proxy encountered an error". I've read few guide, but I've not see any recommandations about this trivial configuration. Any idea ? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So...

I've added my virtual name on each host mapped host name and communication is OK now.
I've not use "Add Shared or cluster mappings"...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tested forward and reverse name lookup at OS-level for the Cluster Group virtual hostname? 
e.g. nslookup, ping, etc from the master/media server.

Try NBU lookup and port connection from cmd on NBU master and/or media server:

bptestbpcd -client <virt-name> -debug -verbose

Marianne

Another thought:

Since this is version 8.1 - it may have something to do with security certificates...

Hopefully someone with more 8.1 experience will reply soon.

Thanks Marianne.
Below the end of result of this command with virtual name :

<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(xxxx.xxxx.xxxx) failed: 7648
10:07:38.898 [8536.8468] <16> bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(xxxx.xxxx.xxxx) failed: 7648
<16>bptestbpcd main: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
10:07:38.945 [8536.8468] <16> bptestbpcd main: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
<2>bptestbpcd: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
10:07:38.976 [8536.8468] <2> bptestbpcd: Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed
<2>bptestbpcd: EXIT status = 7648
10:07:38.991 [8536.8468] <2> bptestbpcd: EXIT status = 7648
<16>bptestbpcd main: Peer host validation failed for SECURE connection; Peer host: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx, Er
ror: 8618, Message: Connection is dropped, because the host ID-to-hostname mapping is not yet approved..: 7648
10:07:39.054 [8536.8468] <16> bptestbpcd main: Peer host validation failed for SECURE connection; Peer host: txxxx.xxxx.xxxx, Error: 8618, Message: Connection is dropped, because the host ID-to-hostname mapping is not yet
approved..: 7648
Connection cannot be established because the host validation failed

there is a link with certificate ? In Security Management\Host Management, i've see my 2 clients.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

yes in Security Management\Host Management, you should add virtual names as Mapped Host Names fro both physical nodes.

Add As Cluster Mappings, if it wont work, then Add as Host Mappings

Regards

Michal

Have you added distributed application in master server properties ?

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Backing-up-volumes-in-a-Windows-Failover-Cluster/td-p/296504

Add or remove Host mappings is grayed.

Only Shared or Cluster mappings is possible. So I've created a new shared or cluster mapping with  my virtual name. I've added my two hosts. When I click to save, i've that this status code : 8717 Failed to perform the operation as one of the input parameters is invalid. Twice errors to my 2 hosts

Nope, I think there is a mistake with certificate or anything else about security.

Marianne

This is certainly a problem with NBU 8.1 security certificate for virtual hostname:

Peer host validation failed for SECURE connection; Peer host: txxxx.xxxx.xxxx, Error: 8618, Message: Connection is dropped, because the host ID-to-hostname mapping is not yet
approved..: 7648

So...

I've added my virtual name on each host mapped host name and communication is OK now.
I've not use "Add Shared or cluster mappings"...

Whether a new host mapping is automatically approved or requires approval by a human is a configuration option in the master server. The default is to automatically approve newly discovered mappings, so someone at this site intentionally chose the more cautious setting.

Mystre316
Level 4

Have you set these machines up as an app_cluster in Netbackup? 

On the master server:

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename appcluster.name -machinetype app_cluster

nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename machinename.host1 -machinetype media -clustername appcluster.name -netbackupversion 8.0 -masterserver master.server

nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename machinename.host2 -machinetype media -clustername appcluster.name -netbackupversion 8.0 -masterserver master.server

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello Mystre316,

these commands are for NetBackup servers, not clients. IMHO, the issue has been resolved by Host Mappings.

Regards

Michal

Of course, I've resolved my problem with adding virtual name to host mappings on my two servers.

What the objective of "add shared or cluster mappings" option ?

Moved:

Marianne