cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8.2 Flexible license On Prem Perpetual 5TB Smart Meter

komondor1
Level 3

I am getting ready to insatl  Vertas Netbackup ver 8.2

This is the description and it also has a notice that I need to insatll the Smart  Meter application.  However I am on a closed network with no connectivity to any other networks and for sure not the internet.  I did not buy the software so am not familiar with the differnet options.  

Is there a way around the requirement, I am not even sure if I could send a file to them if it was not in a easily readable format to have it approved to be sent to Veritas.

Is there another option, they purchased 5 TB to be backed up?

NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE COMPLETE ED WITH FLEXIBLE LICENSING XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB PLUS ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Okay - so I missed that point. Any NetBackup upgrade/installation from version 8.1.2 requires the smart meter key to allow the installation/upgrade to continue. However, that's just the key you download as described. Once NetBackup is running there is no requirement on the smart meter data being sent to Veritas for NetBackup to operate. 

As for the license - yes you are right NetBackup licensing is not enforced by the software and relies on customer honesty. There is no "unlimited" version of a NetBackup license as such. And your suggestion on how the license mechanism can be cheated is possible - but Veritas as part of the terms of the license is allowed to request data to confirm compliance.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sclind
   VIP   

We have the same problem; none of our servers connect to the internet.

Apparently you can do it manually but I dont find that very attractive:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/133778034-133778053-0/v133443049-133778053

To upload Smart Meter data:

1. Log into Smart Meter with your Veritas Account Manager credentials.
  2. Select License utilization files on the left side of the screen.
  3. In the resulting screen, select Upload files.
  4. Browse to the telemetry files you want to upload....

Firstly, not uploading the data for the smart meter will not NetBackup from working - it may make the sales/licensing team "unhappy" and cause them to request the data manually at some point in time, but that is a differenet issue. At this stage, not uploading the Smart Meter data will not stop NetBackup from working (this may change in the future - although I have no knowledge of this).
The NetBackup license attached to your entiltement is all you will need to get things running. 

As @sclind indictaes, there is a manual way to upload the data. The data sent to Veritas is obscured to protect customer information such as policy names and server names. I've attached the Smart Meter guide for reference - see page 8/9 for more details on the privacy and security policy around this. It also describes how to manually upload the data - which is basically to take the file from the master server to a server that does have internet access. 

One last point. Smart Meter is meant to help both the customer and Veritas understand the NetBackup consumption and to avoid any unpleasent surprises by discovering that you are now protecting over your entitlement. It keeps track of what is being protected, so you the customer can see how it is progressing. It also helps the sales team by being able to proactively talk to the customer about their licensing before it turns into a compliance issue. This gives the customer time to either add to the license or determine that not everything requires backup and so reduce their license usage.

So I guess the question is why do I need to bother, the license will still work for the capacity purchased.  Veritas cannot turn my license off, and within the overage allowed I assume I could not  backup 8 TB of Data with my 5 TB license?

I thought I answered this yesterday. Anyway my 2 cents worth.

Smart meter is not required to make NetBackup work (at this point in time -  it may change in the future, but how air gapped environments like yours could be managed is a good question). 

Your NetBackup capacity license currently has no compliance capability - so with your license you could back up any amount of data without NetBackup complaining (NetBackup licensing has been based on an honesty basis - again this may change). 

What Smart meter can do for you is allow you to monitor the usage of your license entitlement so that there are no surprises (it is very easy to back up more data than your entitlement provides). It can also be used by your account team to monitor your usage, so they can proactively start discussions with you as you get close to your entitlement - that way you can either stop backing up things that don't need it, or budget in advance for additional licneses. Noone (customers nor the sales team) likes to go down a license audit path - it is time consuming and does not foster good relations.

So now I am more confused in the netbackup download page in bright yellow it says:

NetBackup 8.2 requires a Smart Meter customer registration key on each master server. You must obtain these keys and have them available during the installation or upgrade of your master server. To download these keys and learn more about Smart Meter, visit Veritas Smart Meter or download and open the ACTION_SMART_METER_ENABLEMENT.html file in the Base and upgrade installers section below. The file can be located by typing ACTION_SMART_METER_ENABLEMENT.html in the Search files field.

I find it amusing that I am purchasing a 5TB License but you are saying it will back up any amount of data.  I work for a government agency so I would not go over the amount since I am subject to all kinds of audits.However I can see someone buying a 5TB key and using it in multiple locations and blocking the phone home option. 

If they do add it later that it actually does track how much data is being backed up people will just keep using the "unlimited" version.

I am still waiting for some hardware to be installed before I tackle the Netbackup install.

Okay - so I missed that point. Any NetBackup upgrade/installation from version 8.1.2 requires the smart meter key to allow the installation/upgrade to continue. However, that's just the key you download as described. Once NetBackup is running there is no requirement on the smart meter data being sent to Veritas for NetBackup to operate. 

As for the license - yes you are right NetBackup licensing is not enforced by the software and relies on customer honesty. There is no "unlimited" version of a NetBackup license as such. And your suggestion on how the license mechanism can be cheated is possible - but Veritas as part of the terms of the license is allowed to request data to confirm compliance.

Thanks for the  quick replies and clarity of your answers, I know software  versions always have little changes that may not change the actual funtionality and I can see them  trying to enforce it at a later time.   The license we have is part of a 500TB license and it seems no one has ever reported usage as it shows many licenses being issues and no data backed up.

I will not worry about that part during the installation.  I have been working on getting our SAN installed for over a week so have had a lot of time to look at the installtion instructions and any little gotchas that can come up like the server bring named backup_server1 :)