cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 8.2 Windows upgrade to netbackup 9.1.0.1

bc1410
Level 5

Hello

Trying to upgrade our windows 2012R2 netbackup Master/Media server to Netbackup 9.1.0.1.

So I attempted this twice so far.  Im getting some preinstall Warnings.

Can anybody tell me if Im suppose to have the Services Stopped or Running.  I had read in the upgrade guide that they should be stopped but Im unsure now.

When I initially started the upgrade i stopped the services and got the following preinstall checks:

rbac_config_check -  Unable to execute the nbdb_unload binary and run this test because the NetBackup database service is not running. To verify the functionality, start the NetBackup services and run the following command before you retry the upgrade: [nbdb_unload -dbn NBDB -t AUTH_MAIN.ACTL_AccessRule ] Any NetBackup master server that is being upgraded from 8.1.2 (or higher) to NB 8.3 (or higher) will run this test. This test checks for the existence of access rules. If any exist, the NetBackup Administrator will need to migrate any of the existing RBAC configurations still needed to the new RBAC model. Refer to the following article for more details: https://www.veritas.com/docs/100047577

so not sure if we are getting this since we are jumping v8.3 -- > as NetBackup 8.3 introduces a new implementation of role-based access control??.
 ----

api_keys_check -Unable to execute the nbdb_unload binary and run this test because the NetBackup database service is not running. To verify the functionality, start the NetBackup services and run the following command before you retry the upgrade: [nbdb_unload -dbn NBDB -t AUTH_MAIN.AUTH_Api_Keys ] Any NetBackup master server that is being upgraded from 8.2 (or higher) to NB 8.3 (or higher) will run this test. This test checks if any API keys exist in the database. If any exist, the NetBackup Administrator will need to reassign the principals for any existing API keys to a role with the appropriate permissions needed for the functions used with that key. Refer to the following article for more details: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100047576

---

hotfix_auditor - The installed hot fix and EEB identifiers which are not resolved in your target version are as follows: EEB_NetBackup_8.2_PET4021777_SET4021776_EEB3 Description: No data available at this time. Fixed In: No data available at this time. This information was up-to-date as of August 23, 2021. More up-to-date information may be available at: https://sort.veritas.com/netbackuphfauditor

---

unsupported_robot_types_noncritical: Unable to determine if any unsupported robot types are present on this host, skipping.

Unsure why we are getting this.  We are unsing i500 LT06 tape library (fibre).  Pretty sure I saw this in the compatibility guide.   
----

nbwmc_and_nb_dbsrv_mod_time_match: The N:\Veritas\NetBackup\var\global\i_nbdbinfo.dat and N:\Veritas\NetBackup\var\global\wsl\config\web.conf files were updated independently. The i_nbdbinfo.dat file was modified after the web.conf file. This test runs when you upgrade the NetBackup master server from 8.0 to a later version. This test checks for a match between the web services (nbwmc) update time and the NetBackup database (nbdb) update time. Specifically, it checks the time stamp of the web.conf file and the i_nbdbinfo.dat file. The times must either match or the web.conf file can have a later update time. Refer to the following article for more details: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045508

So I canceled out of this inital install.   I rebooted the server and decided to run it again.  But this time I left the netbackup services in a running state.

I only got the following 2 WARNINGS now:

hotfix_auditor- The installed hot fix and EEB identifiers which are not resolved in your target version are as follows: EEB_NetBackup_8.2_PET4021777_SET4021776_EEB3 Description: No data available at this time. Fixed In: No data available at this time. This information was up-to-date as of August 23, 2021. More up-to-date information may be available at: https://sort.veritas.com/netbackuphfauditor

nbwmc_and_nb_dbsrv_mod_time_match-The N:\Veritas\NetBackup\var\global\i_nbdbinfo.dat and N:\Veritas\NetBackup\var\global\wsl\config\web.conf files were updated independently. The i_nbdbinfo.dat file was modified after the web.conf file. This test runs when you upgrade the NetBackup master server from 8.0 to a later version. This test checks for a match between the web services (nbwmc) update time and the NetBackup database (nbdb) update time. Specifically, it checks the time stamp of the web.conf file and the i_nbdbinfo.dat file. The times must either match or the web.conf file can have a later update time. Refer to the following article for more details: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045508

The modification times on the  2 files in question for the "nbwmc_and_nb_dbsrv_mod_time_match" is off by 1 second.  

Why would I need to change the password to the netbackup database.   Im guessing since I dont know what it is in the first place and the command to change it doesnt require the password it probably doesnt hurt to do this.

Should I change the password using the command on the technote https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045508 and run through the upgrade with the services RUNNING?   For the life of me I thought we had always shut services down prior to an upgrade in linux and windows. 

Thanks

BC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @bc1410 

I'm sure you can safely ignore the two warnings anmd proceed with the upgrade without any further intervention (or password changes). 

The first warning relates to the log4j EEB which is of no consequence as you are upgrading. 

The second I have seen many times and have always ignored it without issue.

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @bc1410 

I'm sure you can safely ignore the two warnings anmd proceed with the upgrade without any further intervention (or password changes). 

The first warning relates to the log4j EEB which is of no consequence as you are upgrading. 

The second I have seen many times and have always ignored it without issue.

Cheers
David

Thanks David - 

Yea I was mostly concerned with the 2nd one regarding the password change on the NB database.

What's the correct protocol with services when doing the upgrade.   Have them stopped or Running?

I had received more warnings when they were stopped but when I left them running I only received the two I mentioned.  

Thanks

BC

Hi @bc1410 

Good question - I usually leave services running when doing an upgrade and let the upgrade process manage services for me. On reviewing the upgrade guide just now, the last step before starting the upgrade indicates to shutdown NetBackup services. 

I don't think it really matters to be honest, but I'm open to what others say. If services are down you will probably get those other warnings as you discovered - if you are not using the API functionality, nor have any but the default RBAC configuration then you can safely ignore the warnings (the RBAC model changed slightly in 8.3 so if you make use of this feature - mostly required for WebUI access control there may be additional steps required).

David