cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 9.1.0.1 - Not loading LTO5 tape for restore with LTO7 drives

PaulStevens
Level 4
Partner

I have Netbackup 9.1.0.1 running on Veritas NBU appliance.

We have two logical libraries on our tape loader, TLD(0) containing LTO7 drives (HCART) and TLD(1) containing LTO5 drives (HCART2)

All the LTO documentation says that the drives can read 2 generations back and write 1 gen back.  So my LTO7 drives should be able to read my LTO5 tapes.  I modeled a restore to find out which LTO5 tape it was on then moved that tape into the LTO7 logical library.  Inventoried both libraries and I can see the tape in TLD(0)

Yet when I run the restore it comes up with the message

15:00:13 (4595936.001) INF - If Media id X05938 is not in a robotic library administrative interaction may be required to satisfy this mount request.

Device monitor shows a pending action

824683nyxalbnbu001X05938 HCART2ReadSep 29, 2022 3:00:13 PMX05938001_00000_TLDAdded by Media Manager

and it won't load the LTO5 tape into the LTO7 drives (there are plenty of drives available).  When I attempt to assign the request it gives me an error    Invalid Drive Type/Density

Also noted that all the LTO7 tapes are in volume group 000_00000_TLD but the LTO5 tape comes in with volume group 001_00000_TLD.

So, how can I make my LTO7 drive read my LTO5 Tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The restore job was still waiting for the tape, which is why it would not let me change it.  Once I cancelled the restore, I was able to do the vmchange.

Reran the restore.  It loaded and successfully restored the files.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PaulStevens
Level 4
Partner
Sep 29, 2022 3:01:14 PM - awaiting resource X05938. 
          A pending request has been generated for this resource request. 
          Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action, 
          Media ID: X05938, Barcode: X05938, Density: hcart2, Access Mode: Read, 
          Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: nyxalbnbu001, Robot Type(Number): 0(N/A), 
          Volume Group: 001_00000_TLD, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A

Found other posts that said just change the density to match the drive and it should read, but it won't let me do that.

# vmchange -new_mt HCART -m X05938
Could not change media ID X05938: the media is allocated for use (199)

I changed the tape to standalone, but still get same error.

The restore job was still waiting for the tape, which is why it would not let me change it.  Once I cancelled the restore, I was able to do the vmchange.

Reran the restore.  It loaded and successfully restored the files.