Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Application and Database pack

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

NetBackup Application and Database Pack Option

The NetBackup Application and Database Pack are licensed per system (on a tier basis). It is possible to

protect multiple application or database instances on the same system with one Application and Database

Pack.

The NetBackup Application and Database Pack license covers agents for the following databases and

applications:

· Oracle

· Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory

· IBM DB2, IBM Lotus Notes

· Informix

· Sybase

· Symantec Enterprise Vault

Note: An Application & Database Pack license is only needed for Active Directory Granular Recovery.

What will be the situation with ESX host.  Does the host get a client license a app/db pack.  If the customer has an esx host laden with databases/apps/fileservers/win7/etc... will the client license now cover Granular recovery of all of these products?  Is the app/db pack now only required for AD granular recovery?  Past action would require an app/db pack for all servers running such software.  Now given VM architecture, does vray now remove the necessity to have app/db on every server?

Ex. 1 esx host

2 x AD

2 x DNS

2 x exchange

2 x sql

1 x file server

exs host requires 1 enterprise client license.  This will cover granular recovery for ALL vm's except AD?

esx host requires 1 enterprise client license. Each vm requires 1 app/db pack; exception is fileserver needing nothing.

It seems the idea of what is needed on the esx host has changed. Can I please get an overview of what is needed on ESX host to what is needed on each VM.

Just to clarify, master and media servers are not included in this architecture, place those outside the scope of this post please.

Thank you for all feedback in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Find inline comments to yours

Ex. 1 esx host
2 x AD
2 x DNS
2 x exchange
2 x sql
1 x file server

exs host requires 1 enterprise client license.  This will cover granular recovery for ALL vm's except AD?
Yes

esx host requires 1 enterprise client license. Each vm requires 1 app/db pack; exception is fileserver needing nothing.
Each vm requires 1 app/db pack;  : False. Not each Guest vm would require app/db pack, instead only 1 app/db pack would be required per tiered ESX host server
exception is fileserver needing nothing.: True

It seems the idea of what is needed on the esx host has changed. Can I please get an overview of what is needed on ESX host to what is needed on each VM.
VMware tools is needed on each Guest VM
Except SAP all the application and Database can be licensed under 1 app/db pack per  tiered ESX hosts

hope this clarifies your doubt.

For further details you can sync up with local  account manager from Symantec. They would  aid you further

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Will_Restore
Level 6

NetBackup for VMware requires an Enterprise Client license for each ESX Server.

To protect an application or database, note: an additional license for the appropriate NetBackup package is needed for each ESX server that hosts the application or database.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70879

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

"Note: An Application & Database Pack license is only needed for Active Directory Granular Recovery."

Understood.  The above quote is taken directly from the Netbackup 7.5 licensing guide, publish date june 2012

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Your assessment is correct. NetBackup is best while protecting Virtualized environment

1 Enterprise /Standard CAL per ESX host

If you want GRT funtionality from VM then you need Enterprise CAL for Physical HOST, otherwise for simple VM protection 1 STD CAL

1 App/DB pack only if you want App aware protection with GRT of Guest VM

i.e. App aware protection for Exchange, SharePoint, Domain Controllers etc.

IF SAP is guest VM then 1 SAP agent would be required

If VMs are copied, moved or transferred amongst Physical Host, Then all the Physical host must be licensed

Hope  this helps

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

If you want to perform GRT of vm's on a host (app/db/file)

1) ENT client for the ESX host.

and

1) APP/DB pack on the ESX host

2) APP/DB pack on all app/db vm's wanting GRT

3) only APP/DB pack for vm with AD for GRT

Old licensing was simple, for every server hosting an app/db would have an app/db pack. The only reason this all comes up now is the updated 7.5 licensing guide states exactly as my original post shows.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I feel this is the best. Not sure about Old scheme. But as far i've seen this is same from 7.1 onwards. And is beneficial for end customer to choose NBU over others

Let me shed more light on below confusion

1) APP/DB pack on the ESX host

=> Only required when you have Exchange, SQL, Oracle, AD, SharePoint as Guest VM and you want to protect that Application with respective policy type (e.g. MS-Exchange, MS-SharePoint, etc.) rather then entire VM (.vmdk). To achieve this you need 1 App/DB pack per ESX Host. If Guest VMs are in Cluster with another VM on another ESX host, then that ESX host also must be licensed with 1 ENT CAL and 1 APP/DB PACK.

2) APP/DB pack on all app/db vm's wanting GRT

=> Read answer to 1st query.

3) only APP/DB pack for vm with AD for GRT

=> App/DB pack is required if you want GRT of AD. But if there are other Guest VMs as well, Exchange , sharepoint etc.  So you do not have to add more APP/DB pack You are entitled with GRT amongst all this VMs . Level of granularity is up to you, At VM level, BLIB, App level etc.as i mentioned above you require only 1 App/DB and 1  Ent CAL per ESX host

I hope this clears your doubt.

Please mark the post  as solved which had helped you most.

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So to clarify.  No longer is an agent needed on the VM for any purpose?  Including GRT of all db/app with the ecxeption of AD?

You can GRT with an ENT client and APP/DB pack on the esx host alone?

Will_Restore
Level 6

unless you install NetBackup Client software on the individual VMs

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Agent deployment would be required if you are performing individual file restore on same VM host. Without agent being deployed on Same Guest VM you cannot perform restore, instead you will have to perform re-directed restore. But Good news is that, you don't require License for this agents deployed under VM, if ESX is licensed

If SAP is also one of Guest VM, then You need to buy 1 SAP Cal, this is exempted from app/db pack.

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

With release of v-ray. Sounds to me the enterprise client has the ability to "one-pass" / "full" backup of a vm and do granular recovery.  From this assumtion I am gathering that if your esx box is hosting a plethera of different vm's; that you can complete all GRT through that one agent.  The question then arises that if you want GRT of AD, then you need to install a APP/ DB pack.

Sounds like unless your refering to AD, the app/db pack has been obsoleted for enterprise client on the esx host.

Thoughts please.

Will_Restore
Level 6

No, if you have ANY of the products listed in the original post, you need the app/db license IN ADDITION to the Enterprise Client.

The technote I posted above covers NBU v7.5

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I completed agree with your statement, and your tech note.  However, if you take a moment and check out the Netbackup 7.5 Licensing guide, it strictly calls out my original post.  That wasn't typed by me, it was cut and pasted from the original document.  There is a line that states "Note: An Application & Database Pack license is only needed for Active Directory Granular Recovery."

That one sentence changes all.

See my confusion?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Find inline comments to yours

Ex. 1 esx host
2 x AD
2 x DNS
2 x exchange
2 x sql
1 x file server

Yes

Each vm requires 1 app/db pack;  : False. Not each Guest vm would require app/db pack, instead only 1 app/db pack would be required per tiered ESX host server
exception is fileserver needing nothing.: True

It seems the idea of what is needed on the esx host has changed. Can I please get an overview of what is needed on ESX host to what is needed on each VM.
VMware tools is needed on each Guest VM
Except SAP all the application and Database can be licensed under 1 app/db pack per  tiered ESX hosts

hope this clarifies your doubt.

For further details you can sync up with local  account manager from Symantec. They would  aid you further

Will_Restore
Level 6

I think that is out of context.  Check with your sales partner for clarification.

mspadea
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks all for your comments.  I am awaiting a SYMC engineer for clarification on this.