cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup BMR boot CD cannot get network adapter on Lenovo E30

jmp242
Level 3

I've been looking at this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/network-initialization-failed-rc3997697

I've manually added the Intel adapter driver to the BMR screen, I've also used the PTR as suggested. When it says make a new SRT, does it mean a new bootable CD? Or a new SRT then a new boot CD? Is there a good way to mass add drivers to one CD?

7 REPLIES 7

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

a new SRT then a new boot CD

>> s there a good way to mass add drivers to one CD?

It is possible. If you add drivers compatible to winpe 2.1 then those will get automatically added to a new SRT you create.

User also can map specific drivers using bmrconfig driver mapping wizard.

thanks.

mandar

jmp242
Level 3

So if I add the winPE drivers using the Boot Server Administrator tool, then create a new SRT, it will have those drivers?

Can I then use a different SRT than the one I created the backup with for the restore?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Yes, until and unless the drivers being added are winpe 2.1 (Windows 2008 os) compatible, new srt creation will add them in.

>> Can I then use a different SRT than the one I created the backup with for the restore?

You can. Do client prepare to restore with the new cd. In case you are doing media based restore then create, burn ISO out of new SRT.

Thanks.

Mandar

jmp242
Level 3

Ok, so when I create the boot CD and SRT, how do I choose the Arch? I've been choosing x64 because that's what I'm restoring, but I'm wondering if I should choose x32 so the network driver works??? 

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

As you said, if client being restored is x64 then SRT arch needs to be 64-bit. In that case if the network driver has two versions 32 and 64 specifically then 64 version supporting windows 2008 OS needs to be installed in bmr repository so that it will be picked up and installed into SRT automatically.

Having correct driver available in BMR repo, user can also map this driver manually using bmrconfig driver mapping GUI.

Thanks.

Mandar

jmp242
Level 3

Ok, I just cannot get this boot CD to see the network interface. Is there a way with netbackup BMR backup to restore a windowsRE compatible VHD file or the like? Or something like a VMDK? So I can just dump it on a USB disk and restore from any of a bunch of different software that talks that file format?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You can do that but today BMR needs virtual machine (hyperv, vmware) to be created by user manually with required NW and virtual disk attached to it.

Then bmr needs to do discovery of that machine by srt boot. User then initialize,maps discovered configuration with original clietn config to be restored. Do PTR and start recovery.

A bit complex process. You can refer below videos showing bmr restore of client onto a virtual machine.

Link 1:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-bmr-701-release-windows-2008-client-physical-machin...

Link 2: 

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-bmr-701-release-windows-2008-client-physical-machin...

JFYI: To avoid all this manual work and complexity, we are coming up with a feature that can create physical machine equivalent virtual machine on selected hypervisor by running a simple wizard. This is kind of creating direct virutal machine from backup.

Thanks.

Mandar