cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup BMR

vinods
Level 5
Partner
I am tring to create solaris 64 bit Image through NEtbackup BMR and try to restore same server as well as alternate server .

Below is Netbackup componetnt and version

1) Nnetbackup Master server ( Windows ) :- 6.5.6
2)Netbackup Boot server :-                               6.5.6
3) Netbackup agent ( Which i protect )       :- 6.5.6
4) Netbackup agent file system :-               :- vxfs                  

Now , Can any one explain me .
1) How to create SRT ?
2) How to restore SRT ?
3)If i restore the BMR image to alternate location , i required do any thing for Vxfs file system or it will automatically showing the volumes.

Vinod
3 REPLIES 3

AmolV
Level 5
What Solaris version and architecture are you using?
What is the VxFS (or Storage Foundations) version that you are using?

1) How to create SRT ?
You will need to setup a BMR Boot Server on a Solaris Server whose OS Version is higher or equal to that of your client.
The Boot Server would be the one where you have unstalled the BMR Boot Server base package and patch. (Setup one such server if you have not done so already)
On the boot server, you'll find a command called bmrsrtadm using which you can create a SRT.
For creating the SRT you'll need to have the OS media handy (Preferably the same as that of your client)
You'll also need to add NBU Client base and patch to the SRT (again using bmrsrtadm) and the VxFS package to the SRT.
Once this is done, your SRT is ready.
Please note that a SRT is NOT your client's image, its a temporary environment that BMR uses to boot your bare metal machine either over network or using an ISO generated out of the SRT. So the SRT will NOT contain your client's data (data will be with NBU).

2) How to restore SRT ?
You dont restore a SRT, you restore USING a SRT.
You have two approaches for this:
    a. Use SRT to boot over network - for this you'll need some daemons like bootparamsd, rarpd configured on your boot server. Refer to BMR admin guide. You can then "boot net" your client to take it to restore mode, assuming your client and boot server are in the same subnet.
    b. Use an ISO generated using the SRT to boot the client using a CD/DVD - the ISO can be generated using a n/w SRT and bmrsrtadm. You then burn this ISO to a CD/DVD and physically boot the bare metal client using this CD/DVD. In this method, you'll have to provide some details like client name, address, gateway, master server's address etc. by hand.
Once your SRTs are ready, dont forget to carry out the "Prepare To Restore" operation for your client using the correct SRT. This can be done via the admin GUI or using the command bmrprep on the BMR/NBU Master server.

3)If i restore the BMR image to alternate location , i required do any thing for Vxfs file system or it will automatically showing the volumes.
Yes, you'll need to add the VxFS package into the SRT that you are going to use during the restore. Rest will be taken care of by BMR.
What you are trying to do is a DSR, we dont support a DSR on unix/linux. Yet, here is a technote that can provide some guidance:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307662.htm

Feel free to post your queries here or to contact support if you need more help in using BMR.

HTH,
AmolV

lu
Level 6
I just wondered if BMR with Solaris x86 was supported ?

vinods
Level 5
Partner

What Solaris version and architecture are you using? :- Sparck solaris 10
What is the VxFS (or Storage Foundations) version that you are using? :- 5.0 MP1

Thanks for Information .