cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup / Backup Exec Tape Reader

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a customer who currently has Netbackup Appliances (V2.6.1.2) installed and will shortly be upgrading to V2.7.3.  They also have a legacy Backup Exec environment (V12) and we are looking to maintain access to the historical Backup Exec produced tapes following decommissioning of the Backup Exec environment.

I am aware that the BETR (Backup Exec Tape Reader) is no longer supported after NBU 7.6.1.2, so we will need to act now.

My question is as follows:

Is the BETR required for ANY access to Backup Exec tapes or simply to perform a catalog/import of the media ?  For example, can we catalog/import the Backup exec media whilst at 7.6.1.2, then upgrade to 7.7.3 and still have the ability to restore the Backup Exec data which was cataloged/imported previously ?  I don't believe we can - but need clarification on this.

Any input appreciated.

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000005737 says

Backup Exec Tape Reader (BETR) refers to the ability within NetBackup to import ***and restore*** from Backup Exec (BE) backup sets (images).

(emphasis added) 

Best to log an official support request to confirm. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Will_Restore
Level 6

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000005737 says

Backup Exec Tape Reader (BETR) refers to the ability within NetBackup to import ***and restore*** from Backup Exec (BE) backup sets (images).

(emphasis added) 

Best to log an official support request to confirm. 

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Veritas Support confirmed the following:

BETR is required for ANY access to Backup Exec media as this media is written in MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) as opposed to the TAR format used by Netbackup.

Therefore - you cannot import/catalog using BETR and then restore from this imported media at a later date without BETR.

AJ