cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Catalog Merging

giulianoso
Level 3

Hi everybody,

Can we merge a catalog with other, using same NetBackup version (8.0)? Our previous enviroment was a clustered Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 running as Master Servers and a couple of physical servers running as Media Servers... On our previous enviroment we lost our access to the GUI and some command line weren't work as well, so we had to rise another enviroment with a new Master Server (Windows 2012 R2, not clustered), connecting to the our Media Servers, but we were not abble to restore the catalog... So we're willing to know if there is a way to merge our old catalog with our new one.

14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Pity you did not log a support call with Veritas about the problematic clustered master or asked for advice here.

The problem now is that merging is going to be a costly exercise. Merging and/or migrating from clustered to non-clustered is a specialized task that can only be performed by trained consultants.

Please see this doc:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH31385

Mike_Gavrilov

Even though it's possible to merge NBU catalogs (as Marianne said it's to engage VERITAS consultants and Consulting Partners) as a consulting partner as can tell you that if your current setup isn't work correctly nobody will perform pure merge. You'll have to make original server work correctly first.  Did you try to reinstall NBU and restore Catalog on the server that isn't working correctly now?

Thanks Marianne! Yeah, when the problem first occurred we spent a few days trying to bring it back, but as we were not backing up our systems, we decided to rise a new server to save our enviroment... I'll let you know the results of this situation.

Thanks Mike! I've tried to rename the new Master Server with the name of our former VIP cluster, and the same IP address, but I couldn't restore our catalogs (I belive it happened because the new server were not in cluster... what do you think?) ... Now I have a MSDP with the old catalogs and 40 TB, and I don't know how to "attach" to the new server...

Marianne
It is more than just about a name.
Clustered emm database cannot be restored to unclustered db. Only special catalog manipulation tools can migrate clustered db to unclustered.
Cluster change and catalog merge are 2 of the consulting use cases that are mentioned in the TN above.

Your other option is to import all storage such as MSDP and/or tape in the new environment.

Mike_Gavrilov

Unfortunately, you have two options:

1. Try to restore your original setup. You wrote that you have Cluster installation. Did you try to switch to the another node? GUI issue isn't vital. If you don't have some commands (that could be a sign that something was deleted) your another node should have them because shared resource has only DBs abd configs but not binaries. 

2. You can try to import everything into your new environment but it's very time consuming procedure. 

Marianne

I am curious about the MSDP in your clustered environment.

Was it connected to a separate media server?

Did you only have MSDP in that environment or tape as well?
If you are using tape - have you removed all used, unexpired tapes written by the clustered environment before adding devices and media in the new environment?

DPeaco
   VIP   

We go through this exercise but not frequently. The long story made short......it requires Netbackup Consulting Services to merge/migrate a catalog so that it will be supported by Veritas support in the future. They also provide a confirmation that the integrity of your newly migrated/merged catalog works as it should. It's not "free" but it depends on what value you place on your backup information. Man Wink

Thanks,
Dennis

Yes, it was connected to another media server and we have tape drive as well; we removed all tape media from our previous enviroment and charged the library with new ones.

Now, to use that MSDP volume and retrive all its data, we have to recover that catalog, right?

Marianne
You can import the MSDP storage.

Herewith my own experience:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Import-MSDP-images/td-p/462337

Links to 'current' manuals in Handy NBU Links in my signature.

Yes, we tried to switch to the other node, but the results were the same... We were unable to do some administrative tasks, like import new medias and export filled ones, however the jobs were running to disks but I coudn't dupplicate to tapes, so my disk pool run out of space...

I see... thanks... Probably we're going to ask for a consulting service anyway... I'm exhausting my capabilities, but not very hopefull...

Marianne
In future, PLEASE ask for advise before making drastic decisions such as this.
I asume that the following refers to tape library operations such as eject and inject:
.... like import new medias and export filled ones .....
There could be a simple reason for this kind of issue - such as the 'device host' in Inventory pointing to clustered master server or one of the nodenames instead of the media server that is the robot control host.
Let's help you to fix issues.
That is why we are here, and why you have support from Veritas.

Will try this and report later... thanks!