Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Catalog Migration

ManuKM1
Level 3
Certified

Dear Experts,

Could you please explore feasibility of migrating the Netbackup catalog from windows MS(NBU version 6.5.1) to Solaris MS(NBU version 7.0)

Regards
Paramu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This can be done - pretty much any O/S to any other O/S as well as merging two catalogs or even splitting a catalog between two new Master Servers.

It may be slightly more restrictive on NetBackup Version changes so yuou may need to get then closer together first.

It needs to be done by an authorsied Symantec Consultant trained in catalog manipulation so you need to contact your Symantec agent to locate one for you

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

This can be done - pretty much any O/S to any other O/S as well as merging two catalogs or even splitting a catalog between two new Master Servers.

It may be slightly more restrictive on NetBackup Version changes so yuou may need to get then closer together first.

It needs to be done by an authorsied Symantec Consultant trained in catalog manipulation so you need to contact your Symantec agent to locate one for you

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

As said Mark, it is possible to do that, but if you have merge operation, you need a trained consultant with specific support.

If your question is "Can I move my database from a NetBackup 6.5 on windows to a empty NetBackup 7.0 on Solaris", it is more simple, and my answer is still yes. I give you the steps :

1. upgrade you "source" Netbackup at the same NetBackup version thant you target Netbackup (exactly the same)
  2. Do a catalog backup on your source NetBackup (on a share disk for example)
  3. Recevery the catalog on the target NetBackup.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NOPE! Cannot be done!

Catalog can ONLY be restored to same kind of platform: Unix/Linux to another Unix/Linux (e.g. Solaris to Linux)  or Windows to Windows (e.g. W2003 32-bit to W2008 64-bit).

Another requirement for catalog recovery is to have the exact same installation path. This is simply not possible across platforms.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per Mariannes excellent post it cannot be done using a catolog restore but I believe it can be done via a trained catalog manipulation enginner as per my initial post

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can SCP or FTP the files between platforms :)

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'm sorry, I did it beetween the same OS type (Win 32bits to Win 64bits) and I thought it was possible on all OS.

My apologies.

Filip_Hasa
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I know it is posible. I have seen documents from symantec partner program for split/merge/move NBU domain.

Hope this help.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per my first post - just need a trained catalog manipulation engineer - contact your Symantec Rep to help locate your local one.

Has your question now been answered? Please make a solution if it has