cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Catalog Replication

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

I am planning for a DR activity where in i have a non clustered environment to set up . I have referred to the HA guide and there is a point on page 60 which states about an upgrade volume and pointing the links to a common volume . I am confused here that what the doc is trying to say .

My understanding was that once the replicated volume is presented to the server we can mount it to the same mount as the primary server and can relink teh directories .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This temp volume is used for initial installation and configuration and will also be used in FUTURE when NBU is upgraded.

During initial installation and during future upgrades you need a read/write volume as the replicated volume cannot be used.
This is when the same temp volume is referred to as upgrade volume.

Yes. During a failover the replicated volume will become the real read/write volume that corresponds with production volume.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

StefanosM
Level 6

If you do not have a clustered master server, do not read about HA.

How do you plan to replicate yoyr netbackup catalog?

do you have tapes or you are using only deduplication (if you use)?

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Stefan , NBU Catalog is residing on VNX and is being replicated by RecoverPoint ( Sync Replication ) . 

We plan to build the DR master with the same os & Patch level ( All New Setup ) 

Catalog is migrated on the SAN ( 6 directories as referred in the HA guide 7.5 admin ) . 

Catalog is repliated to the DR site by recover point 

Replicated catalog needs to be presented to the master server . 

Install is done by a name of alias which will be directed to any server , primary or DR , by DNS . 

Still i am looking to the points which i have stated above as HA guide refers to the Non Clustered NBU DR in a full catalog replication . 

Kindly help folks .

Regards ,

Abhijit Srivastava .

Marianne

According to the NBU HA Guide, soft links are fine.
Extract:

For UNIX and Linux installations, soft link the following paths to locations on a common volume:

■ /usr/openv/netbackup/db
■ /usr/openv/db/data
■ /usr/openv/netbackup/vault/sessions
■ /usr/openv/volmgr/database
■ /usr/openv/var
■ /usr/openv/kms

Note: You can use the nbdb_move command to relocate the EMM database
rather than linking /usr/openv/db/data for UNIX and Linux or <install
path>\VERITAS \netbackupdb\data for Windows. However, all other paths
must be linked.

StefanosM
Level 6

One of my customers (a bank) is running recovery point and we decide to use the following procedure.

Make the master server boot form san. of curse all netbackup disks must be on san.

Use recovery point to replicate all netbackup disk and the boot disk to the DR site.

At the DR site an identical server is configured to boot form the replicated boot disk.

We have run several DR tests, all with complete success.

Also check this
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO44604

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Yeah , thanks for the info Marianne & Stefan . 

but any of you can explain me Point # 6 & 7 where it states for an upgrade volume . what is that intent ? 

because as you have pointed stefan to replicate all the disks from SAN to the DR Server , I am assuming to mount the replicated vol directly on the server and either link the directories or use NBDB_move command to relocate the EMM database . 

My intent of writing this query in the forum was to get an explanation of those points mentioned in the HA guide .

Thanks ,

Abhijit .

Marianne

This is a temporary volume that you use on the secondary non-clustered master server for initial installation and preparation.

So if we now replace 'upgrade volume' with 'temp volume':

6. Create a small disk volume (100 MB) (on the secondary master) and mount it to the same mount point
used for the replicated volume on the primary server. This volume is known as the temp volume and is to be presented every time NetBackup is upgraded on the secondary master server.

Note: During a failover operation the replicated volume is mounted on the secondary master server and not the temp volume.

7 Move the catalog components to the temp volume.
For Windows installations map the following paths to a common volume
using folder mount points or junction points on Windows 2003 and symbolic
links on Windows 2008:
For UNIX and Linux installations, soft-link the following paths to locations
on a common volume:

So, the temp volume is used for installation and configuration and also for upgrades because the actual replicated databases cannot be mounted read/write at this point in time.
The replicated volume can only be mounted read/write when the secondary master needs to become the primary.

If you are uncomfortable with any of these steps, please locate a Symantec reseller that also offers consulting services to assist you.

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Firstly , the last line

6. Create a small disk volume (100 MB) (on the secondary master) and mount it to the same mount point
used for the replicated volume on the primary server. This volume is known as the temp volume and is to be presented every time NetBackup is upgraded on the secondary master server "

confused me as it said when NBU is upgraded , but in my case i am only building a new server with the same patch level on which the replicated volume can be mounted . 

Secondly " Note: During a failover operation the replicated volume is mounted on the secondary master server and not the temp volume " 

the note too said that during a failover the REPLICATED VOL  is mounted on the Secondary/DR Server and not the Temp Volume . Hence , I was guessing that this temp_volume  is only required when we Upgrade the NBU . 

Am i assuming correct ?

Marianne

This temp volume is used for initial installation and configuration and will also be used in FUTURE when NBU is upgraded.

During initial installation and during future upgrades you need a read/write volume as the replicated volume cannot be used.
This is when the same temp volume is referred to as upgrade volume.

Yes. During a failover the replicated volume will become the real read/write volume that corresponds with production volume.

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

Great this is what is looking for !! Thanks so Much !! .... 

I will close this thread once we have tested our DR . 

Abhijit_Srivast
Level 4

DR testing went fine , majorly all steps are correct in the HA guide , But one can tweak according to the environment .

Marianne