cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Catalog backup question

BTLOMS
Level 5

What is the best way to take a catalog backup, keep a copy onsite and send one offsite? I read in the forums here that a duplicated tape is not valid for a catalog restore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

Few ways to configure multiple copies for catalog backup:

1) Traditional => backup to tape, multiple copies, one copy to offsite.

2) Backup to disk, duplicate to tape copy for offsite

3) Configure AIR (requires MSDP on both NBU domains), backup to MSDP, replication to another domain (consider the remote disk copy offsite)

4) Same as #3 but duplicate the remote disk copy to tape for offsite

For replication of catalog data, please refer:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88954

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jim_dalton
Level 6

I write both copies direct to tape , hence neither are duplicated, not that I know theres an issue with duplicated copies. For this you need a remote tape stunit. OR you could write one and then write another and carry one offsite. Or you could write one and then manually duplicate it, using OS tools. That would risk the media of course.

Jim 

BTLOMS
Level 5

the question is - if you duplicate a catalog backup tape, unlike regular backups, is the catalog backup valid ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I read in the forums here that a duplicated tape is not valid for a catalog restore.

Really? ?

I have never seen such a statement. Please provide URLs where you read this?

To recovery catalog from a duplicate copy, you simply specify the copy number in the bprecover command. e.g:

bprecover -wizard -copy 2

If you duplicate to tape, you need to specify CatalogBacKup pool.

Have a look at this TN: 

How to recover the NetBackup catalog from a non-primary copy of the catalog backup
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125784 

ChetteB
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have to agree with Marianne. This is not true. Catalog backups can be run to tape or disk. For simplicity, tape is better than some types of disk. 

watsons
Level 6

Few ways to configure multiple copies for catalog backup:

1) Traditional => backup to tape, multiple copies, one copy to offsite.

2) Backup to disk, duplicate to tape copy for offsite

3) Configure AIR (requires MSDP on both NBU domains), backup to MSDP, replication to another domain (consider the remote disk copy offsite)

4) Same as #3 but duplicate the remote disk copy to tape for offsite

For replication of catalog data, please refer:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO88954

BTLOMS
Level 5

Marianne,

I read this when researching this in these forums. It was an issue in 6.5 I guess i could go back and look in my browsing history just to prove a point to one perseon here - but I am not going to.

Anyways,

For thopse of you who have said "Multiple copies" this option is greyed out when the policy type is Catalog Backup.

Backup to disk and dupe to tape > how is netbackup aware that the catalog is on the tape now?

BTLOMS
Level 5

Actually, the link that Marianne sent has what I am talking about. its listed in "Related Articles"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH72098

Known Restrictions

There are four known restrictions to catalog backup/recovery in NetBackup 6.5.4 and 6.5.5, three of which have been resolved in subsequent releases.  These restrictions can be summarized as follows:

Catalog recovery from duplicated hot catalog backups (same domain) does not work

BTLOMS
Level 5

and this too:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76411

BTLOMS
Level 5

Jim,

Can you explain this a bit?

"I write both copies direct to tape , hence neither are duplicated, not that I know theres an issue with duplicated copies. For this you need a remote tape stunit."

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have another look at the NBU 6.5 TN (TECH72098:(

it is not possible to perform a full catalog recovery from any copy other than the original (copy 1) using NetBackup 6.5.4 or 6.5.5.  This restriction does not apply to NetBackup 6.5.6 and higher versions.  

You have selected NBU 7.6. 

Clearly the NBU 6.5 restriction does not apply.

Extract from TECH125784:

Please note: The -copy flag is only available for use in NetBackup 6.5.6, NetBackup 7.0, and later versions.

Alun
Level 4

Hi,

Are you able to point me to a KB article or even another thread that describes setting up a catalog backup to write two sets of tapes in two different sites and records the details of both sets of tapes in the DR file?

We have a clustered master server configuration across two sites and wish to protect the catalog to a remote site no matter which site the master server is active from.

Our media servers in site one have no access to tape drives in site two and vice versa.

I've tried searching, reviewing the admin guides and even experimented locally without much success.

Many thanks,

Alun.