cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client - OS Patching

Xusen
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I have to update to NB 6.5.6 Client on mixture of solaris 8,9 and 10 servers and was wondering if there are any requirements for the servers to be at certain patch levels etc and how intrusive this process is to the application on the server (reboot required etc?)

Servers are currently on NB 5.1MP5 and older

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

OS patch requirements are listed in Release Notes for UNIX, Linux, and Windows http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52796

See 'Operating system patches and updates' in chapter 3.

If you have a Unix/Linux master server, you can 'push install' latest binaries from the master using update_clients.

If Windows master, you will first have to upgrade clients one-by-one to 6.5, then patch to 6.5.6.
Remember that Java and database agents have separate downloads/patches.

No reboot is required on any Unix/Linux client when installing or upgrading NBU.

Xusen
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for the quick response, I saw that document before but I was confused as to whether the patches requirements applied to the clients as well?

Obviously the master server will be upto scratch but I am only worried about the clients themselves who will only be backing up.

Thanks again.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would say the 'multi-threaded' patches are for servers as well as clients.

ssh patches would be applicable to clients that you need to push-install.

Java patches will only be applicable if you run any Java server or client GUIs on a machine.

Patches listed for snapshot client will obviously only apply if that feature is used.

So, in summary - read through and decide what is relevant. Always a good idea to have clients on a fairly recent patch cluster.

Please also consult Compatibility Guides to ensure ongoing support.

As a matter of interest - NBU 6.5 will reach EOSL later this year...

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

Hi Xusen,

Its a good practise, Upgrading Master, Media and Client Netbackup verions as same as Master server / lesser.

Symantec is going to end their support to NetBackup 6.x effective October 3, 2012

So upgrade all the client's in your environment prior to EOSL.

Refer the link below for further details on the same:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-aware-netbackup-6x-end-support-life-fast-approachi...