Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client Privileges

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a relevant technote which mentions, client installation on windows client needs administrator privileges. For e.g. in order to restart netbackup services would require Admin privileges, in order to edit registry entry on netbackup client admin privileges is required, in order to edit hosts file in windows client you need admin privileges.

Thanks

Sid

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This quite clearly says that root (for Linux/Unix) and administrator (for Windows) privileges are always required in order to be able to administer and manipulate NetBackup.

About NetBackup administration interfaces
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000112190

It seems natural to me to assume that if such rights are required in order to operate NetBackup, then it seems reasonable to assume the same is required to be able to install NetBackup.  And, I'm pretty sure that the installation guide will say the same in order to be able to install NetBackup.  Have a look in the installation guide?

sdo

AFAIK, there should be no generic reason to have to edit the registry on Windows clients.  AFAIK, all of the typical normal usual NetBackup Client settings can be manipulated via NetBackup CLI commands from the master server.  Do you have some specific NetBackup Client settings and registry work that you have found can only be accomplished from regedit?

sdo

A question regarding allowing non-admins to edit hosts file on Windows:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3d1a2b3f-2dbf-4cf5-8da8-d153020b9898/allow...

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified
Thanks sdo for the response I have been through the technote you mentioned it talks in relevance with master sever. I need from Netbackup clients perspective where it says you need administrative privileges to backup or troubleshoot the windows client e.g restart Netbackup services on client, means I need a document which says Netbackup client installation for taking backup needs administrative rights or to the user who installs it. I have gone through installation guide this is what I found

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

The NetBackup is application and it run by the owner defines in services.

The NBU required privileges to access the data on client to take backup.

Example: The CIFS data. Some cases the local system admin do not have privileges to access the CIFS share causes backup failure. So admin run the NBU client services with domain user, who has privileges to access the data.

The start, Stop and backup done by the owner of service. Generally we use the Local Admin because default that user have full privilege for that system.  This is applicable for Window OS.

The linux/Unix required root user to run the NBU services.

Thanks & Regards,