cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client Side Dededup - client name change

Kelly_Stevenson
Level 4

I have had to change the client name in bp.conf - and the server was using client side dedup.

when I go to try a restore the older files are not listing under the new name - which makes sense.

I thought the next backup job to run would rerun everything with no dedup due to client name change - but it didn't.

so now cannot access older backed files under new client name.

any suggestions?

turn off client side dedup - run another full backup - then turn it back on??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Older backed up files you will always have to use the old name. As far as Netbackup is concerned the renamed client is a new client. Just take note of the date it was changed and ensure tou use the old name for restores before it was renamed and the new name for after.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Older backed up files you will always have to use the old name. As far as Netbackup is concerned the renamed client is a new client. Just take note of the date it was changed and ensure tou use the old name for restores before it was renamed and the new name for after.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Search for the topic "ALTNAMES", and you will be able to allow the new client name to restore data that was backed-up using the old client name.

Kelly_Stevenson
Level 4

thanks - it just looked like it was not re-doing the dedup with the new name 

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

With the new client name it will still deduplicate against previous backups. NetBackup deduplication checks against fingerprints/checksums in the deduplication pool regardless of whether client side or server side deduplication is used. No need to do anything here...