cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client silent install

noli_boado
Level 2

Looking for a solution to install netbackup 7.6 silently to an AIX box.  Will use this solution to be pushed out to multiple AIX servers in the enterprise.  Will use Bladelogic to push out the .tar/.gz file and need a silent install solution similar to Windows.

Thanks

noli

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Can see two approaches to this

1) Supply the answers to the ./install.sh file questions by file and/or pipe

2) Substitute the questions with the values for the variables

Of course if you have a unix master you can just use that for installing the clients remotely

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The way I've seen it done for BladeLogic is Michael's option 1) above.

If I remember correctly, then I think the install.sh prompts differently depending upon whether a previous version of NetBackup already exists - but I could well be wrong about this.  I think you'll have to manually test each scenario below first, to be sure.  So, I think you may have to code BladeLogic for several scenarios:

1) No previous client exists - and you need to install base version only.

2) No previous client exists - and you need to install base version + patch version.

3) Previous client exists - and you need to install new base version only.

4) Previous client exists - and you need to install new base version + new patch version.

The installaition of the 'patch' version should be the same process in both scenarios 2) and 4) above.

Do you need any pointers on how to detect whether a client is already installed, and how to detect which version is already installed?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Can see two approaches to this

1) Supply the answers to the ./install.sh file questions by file and/or pipe

2) Substitute the questions with the values for the variables

Of course if you have a unix master you can just use that for installing the clients remotely

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

sdo

The way I've seen it done for BladeLogic is Michael's option 1) above.

If I remember correctly, then I think the install.sh prompts differently depending upon whether a previous version of NetBackup already exists - but I could well be wrong about this.  I think you'll have to manually test each scenario below first, to be sure.  So, I think you may have to code BladeLogic for several scenarios:

1) No previous client exists - and you need to install base version only.

2) No previous client exists - and you need to install base version + patch version.

3) Previous client exists - and you need to install new base version only.

4) Previous client exists - and you need to install new base version + new patch version.

The installaition of the 'patch' version should be the same process in both scenarios 2) and 4) above.

Do you need any pointers on how to detect whether a client is already installed, and how to detect which version is already installed?

sdo

Other things to consider:

1) The CLIENTS1 and CLIENTS2 kits are quite large, so you may want to avoid copying such large files to a potential client, and instead:

1a) Mount an NFS share and install from there.

1b) Pre-extract, and pre-form smaller NetBackup installer kits for 'specific' OS family types (i.e. Solaris, RHEL, etc), so that you copy smaller kits - and require less disk space (temporarily) on the client.

2) If your 'clients' are multi-homed with two or more NICs, then how do you detect which IP to use for backups, i.e. which IP to use as your NetBackup 'client_name' (in bp.conf).

3) The install script for Solaris may prompt differently to, for example, the install script for RHEL.

4) If you have no DNS, then the BL script may need to add hosts file entries.

5) If you have more than one NetBackup domain (master) then the BL script will have to somehow detect which master is to be the master for the new client - perhaps based on an IP address subnet or perhaps based upon a fragment/segment extracted from the client's 'hostname'.

6) The BL script may want to pre-propulate the client's bp.conf with some generic site specific settings, e.g. the list of additional (media) "server" entries.

7) Other things the BL script should certainly do, is check for enough diskspace for (a copy of the installer kits) and also check for enough disk space to actually install.

8) Another thing it could (should?) do - is check the installer log file - and thus confirm that the installer script was actually successful.

9) Finally, it is possible that the install is successful, but that the client will not work due to firewall rules, or lack of routing - so maybe your BL script could perform some client to master comms test type commands too.

Do you need any help with:

H1) How to break the CLIENTS1/2 kits in to smaller O/S specific installer kits?

H2) How to detect whether NetBackup Client is already installed?

H3) How to detect which version of NetBackup Client is already installed?

H4) Any post succesful install commands to tes/confirm client to master comms?

sdo

Before coding all this - perhaps consider Michael's third point re pushing the install from the master.  If you don't have many clients then this might save a 'lot' of development time.

How many clients do you think you'll be wanting to install upon?

noli_boado
Level 2

sdo, first, thanks for all the responses.   this client can be pushed to over 50 clients.  let's keep this going.  i will try to install on one client manually and see if i can feed the answers from an answer file.

sdo

Ok.  Let me know if you need any help with any of the four H) points above.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Being AIX clients another option is NIM if you have that set up, remember it as being pretty easy to create an install package