cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client with only SAN connectivity to Server, no LAN

arctics2
Level 5

Using a Netbackup 5230, and have a requirement to backup 2 servers that have only SAN connectivity to the appliance, no LAN connectivity possible.  The FC configuration is complete and they can see each other, however, how exactly do I add the client without being able to connect over LAN?  

I have already tested backing up over FT on another server that has both SAN and LAN connectivity, and that works fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunetly, you will need to have a LAN connection to the client. Not just for administration of the client but for backups and restores. We kick off the bpbkar process and send the list of files being backed up back to the media server via the network connection. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6

no lan? how do you login to them?

arctics2
Level 5

kvm/ip .... there is no domain authentication on these servers, they are isolated for security.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Unfortunetly, you will need to have a LAN connection to the client. Not just for administration of the client but for backups and restores. We kick off the bpbkar process and send the list of files being backed up back to the media server via the network connection. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

no LAN connectivity possible. 

This means that no backup will be possible.
NBU needs network comms to first of all validate backup request from media server.
Media server needs to be able to connect to bpcd process on client via PBX (port 1556) and client then needs to connect back on the same port to complete the handshake. 
Port 1556 needs to be opened in both directions between server and client.

arctics2
Level 5

Thanks for the responses. 

If that's the case, then as long as I'm only requiring server initiated backups, I should only require TCP port 13724 for vnetd and 1556 for PBX from NBU Master/Media (one box) to clients. 

Will that work if I don't want to do bidirectional?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

13724 and 1556 should do it. It has to be bi-directional from memory. 

Also you won't be able to use directives like ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as the master server is required to contact the client to get a list of mount points.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As from NBU 7.0.1, only 1556 is needed. 

It MUST be bi-directional because client firstly needs to complete the connect-back handshake and secondly, bpbkar sends metadata to bpbrm on the media server over the network, using the same port 1556.