Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup CoPilot shares

Hasan_Naqvi
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

I am currently upgrading NB envrioment to 8.1 for a customer and implementing netbackup copilot is also a part of the remit. The NB domain consists of 1 windows 2012 master server and 4 NB 3.1 appliances. There are multiple Oracle servers hosting unique DB instances and I was wondering if I need create a dedicated appliance share for each one of these Oracle server to mounted as NFS shares? Or can I create one share and mount this on each of the Oracle servers?

Thanks
Hasan

5 REPLIES 5

DPeaco
   VIP   

It is my understanding that CoPilot requires specific storage set aside on a NBU 5330 or 5340 appliance. It is optimal to have a storage shelf in the 53x0 appliance set aside just for CoPilot. I'm not aware of being able to run CoPilot for Oracle on the 52x0 series appliances....but I could be wrong. :) 

Thanks,
Dennis

The standard (or optimzed) share is spefically created and configured with Oracle hostname and/or IP information. This share is then mounted as an NFS mount on the respective oracle server.

When you create a standard share on the appliance you can provide details of multiple Oracle hosts, my question is whether its is best practice to use 1 share for many oracle servers? It would convenient but I am not sure if this would be the best scenario.

Can't find any information to this on the Copilot configuration guide or the Oracle admin guide for Netbackup.

@DPeaco

You can absolutely run co-pilot with 52x0 appliances, it would have to be configured as a media server and not a master server.

Yes thanks I understand that.

The question is regarding the share(s) created specifically for copilot on the appliance. Do we need to create a dedicated share for every Oracle server or can we create a single share and use it as storage for all Oracle servers. Please note that in this case there are 12 oracle servers with unique instances.

The option is to create a dedicated share per Oracle server - I am not sure what the best practice is?

From my understanding, you can use 1 share for multiple Oracle instances. The PDF guide for Oracle Admin talks about having multiple DB's backed up with one OIP, so I'd assume you wouldn't have any issues. I could be wrong though.