cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup DR i need another license?

franciscotorres
Level 4

Hello everyone, I need to create a disaster recovery server for my master server (also media server), I understand that it must have the same topology as the productive server, do the same licenses that are active on the production master server work? or I must acquire all the licenses again.

I have licenses for capacity and per socket for VMware

Thank you for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@franciscotorres

Herewith my 2c:

If you have NEVC license (for virtual machines and server(s) ) plus Capacity (for physical servers), then NEVC will only cover the relevant features at the production site.

Feature covered by Capacity license will cover Prod and DR. 

Production licenses can be used for DR testing, provided you do need exceed twelve days per calendar year. 

You may want to ask your Veritas reseller for a copy of the NBU Licensing Guide. 
The doc is only available on PartnerNet, although there is nothing in the doc anymore that indicates that it's for Veritas staff and Parners only. 
There is a section in this doc called 'Cold Disaster Recovery Licensing Policy' that should really be made available to end customers. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
You only need to license the dr site if you master (and the site) is not cold i.e it is active all the time and you’re using AIR for instance.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

If you are on FETB you can have DR Master Server up & running - it is not doing any backups? Even if it does and your total FETB is still lower and/or NEVC count used vs entitled is OK - than it is OK!

im not using AIR, only need to prepare a dr site, then at the install netbackup in dr server, ¿i need the same registration  key file from smart meter? or not will be necesary?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Well, during DR you are selecting DR install option - than you do recover NBU catalog... I would not be worried about smart meter key....

What is your DR approach?

Its only for auditory, not for a real problem.

Thanks for your answers!

Marianne

@franciscotorres

Herewith my 2c:

If you have NEVC license (for virtual machines and server(s) ) plus Capacity (for physical servers), then NEVC will only cover the relevant features at the production site.

Feature covered by Capacity license will cover Prod and DR. 

Production licenses can be used for DR testing, provided you do need exceed twelve days per calendar year. 

You may want to ask your Veritas reseller for a copy of the NBU Licensing Guide. 
The doc is only available on PartnerNet, although there is nothing in the doc anymore that indicates that it's for Veritas staff and Parners only. 
There is a section in this doc called 'Cold Disaster Recovery Licensing Policy' that should really be made available to end customers. 

Thank you very much Marianne, as always you are the best. In this minute I am consulting my contact of veritas to see what to do in my particular case.

According to my veritas consultant, my scenario is an active / passive site, therefore the licenses are transferred without problem and without cost. Thank you very much to all for your comments.