cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup DeDupe

PD001
Level 5

In Netbackup 7x, there is a builtin DeDupe option, how is this different the the Puredisk Appliance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

NetBackup's dedupe engine was built from the PureDisk technology.  There are however some scalability differences.

NBU 7.x can manage up to 32TB of deduped storage PER media server.  Go beyond that, and you have to stand up another media server, and now your two media servers have no visibility into each other, affecting dedupe rates for the worse over all.  (No global dedupe here!)

PureDisk can support up to 192TB of deduped storage (6 x 32TB) utilizing up to 6 nodes in a PureDisk Cluster.  You do need to follow the HCL to the T to make sure you are supported here.  

Additionally PureDisk is better suited for remote office backups as the fingerprint database is stored locaclly on the client.  Where as for NBU clients, there is a lot of extra traffic over the wire to compare fingerprint hashes with the media server(s).

Is SAN required?  FC and DAS are pretty much all that is supported AFAIK, with Symantec dragging their feet on iSCSI support with some old timers that think it's not robust enough.  (Just let the Veritas guys retire already!)

That said, there is an appeal to their appliances in terms of setup and predicted performance.  Though there are some rather daunting support issues and other items that I'd never allow in a customers enterprise level network, that I've mentioned before in other posts and won't repeat here.  Just do your due diligence, test the respective products, and get the Symantec SE in the room for some very candid questions about where they are good and bad.  A good SE will happily have that conversation with you.  

Make sure to compare against other products too!  Products like Exagrid, DataDomain, Quantum, etc can eliminate much of the support issues I've alluded to.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Paramesh
Level 4

puredisk appliance is not completely integrated with netbackup. and other feature is that you can administer all activities from single console.

PD001
Level 5

is the Netbackup version still Puredisk? Is there a performance cost using the Netbackup version vs the appliance?

oleg_rebrov
Level 3
It depends which appliance you are referring to. In either form factor (5000 or 5200 or NBU software) the underlying deduce facilities are all based on Puredisk. The 5200 is only slightly different than a Linux media server with DAS of 32tb storage pool. It's more automated than you doing it yourself though. The 5000 is a prebuilt appliance based on the Puredisk install which is accessed either using PDDO or client direct OST (client backs up directly to the storage pool bypass media servers). The 5000's can be combined for scaling deduce pools horizontally across multiple appliances.

PD001
Level 5

If I use NBU to dedupe, I would need some type of storage, SAN etc?

teiva-boy
Level 6

NetBackup's dedupe engine was built from the PureDisk technology.  There are however some scalability differences.

NBU 7.x can manage up to 32TB of deduped storage PER media server.  Go beyond that, and you have to stand up another media server, and now your two media servers have no visibility into each other, affecting dedupe rates for the worse over all.  (No global dedupe here!)

PureDisk can support up to 192TB of deduped storage (6 x 32TB) utilizing up to 6 nodes in a PureDisk Cluster.  You do need to follow the HCL to the T to make sure you are supported here.  

Additionally PureDisk is better suited for remote office backups as the fingerprint database is stored locaclly on the client.  Where as for NBU clients, there is a lot of extra traffic over the wire to compare fingerprint hashes with the media server(s).

Is SAN required?  FC and DAS are pretty much all that is supported AFAIK, with Symantec dragging their feet on iSCSI support with some old timers that think it's not robust enough.  (Just let the Veritas guys retire already!)

That said, there is an appeal to their appliances in terms of setup and predicted performance.  Though there are some rather daunting support issues and other items that I'd never allow in a customers enterprise level network, that I've mentioned before in other posts and won't repeat here.  Just do your due diligence, test the respective products, and get the Symantec SE in the room for some very candid questions about where they are good and bad.  A good SE will happily have that conversation with you.  

Make sure to compare against other products too!  Products like Exagrid, DataDomain, Quantum, etc can eliminate much of the support issues I've alluded to.

PD001
Level 5

Thanks for all the help