Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Deduplication Licensing

jsouza
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

This is my first post talking about Netbackup Solution.

I'm plannig a NBU7 Deduplication but I don't know the differences about this option.

1 - SYMC NETBACKUP DEDUPLICATION OPTION

2 - SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM DEDUPLICATION OPTION ADD-ON

I need know understand this information to get the correct SKUs.

Who can help me?

Tks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Both options work on front-end Terabyte, the one you select when quoting depends on your customer's licensing model. Whic one do they use?

Traditional Licensing Model: The Traditional licensing model is the only model that was available until NetBackup 6.5. Customers under this model count the number of NetBackup Clients , Servers, and Options they would like to run NetBackup on or with and purchase the same number of licenses . As they deploy additional NetBackup clients or servers or attach additional tape drives or storage to NetBackup they must license additional copies of the appropriate NetBackup product.

or

NBU Platform (per Front-end Terabyte) Licensing Model: This model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data that is protected rather than the number of NetBackup components deployed. This model is beneficial to customers who have or planned to deploy advanced features of NetBackup such as Enterprise Client, Application and Database Packs, Deduplication Option and RealTime.

If its Traditional, you quote 1 - SYMC NETBACKUP DEDUPLICATION OPTION

If its NBU Platform (per Front-end Terabyte), you quote 2 - SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM DEDUPLICATION OPTION ADD-ON

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

teiva-boy
Level 6

I think the Platform option is the based on the capacity licensing model and not the traditional per host licensing.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi jsouza,

Check the attached document.

Nicely explained about the licensing requirements.

Not very sure about prices listed in the document.

Hope this helps,

Best regards...

jsouza
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Krand,

Thank for your answer but I didn't see the difference in this doc.

I always use this doc in all projecst .. Is very nice ..

Tks

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What actually you are trying to do ?

See the below link also

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/en/za/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=netbackup

I think its better to call SYmantec

jsouza
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I'm trying to quote the license per Terabyte.

Marianne

jsouza - are you a reseller? Mabe contact your local Symantec SE or SymIQ for Partners?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Both options work on front-end Terabyte, the one you select when quoting depends on your customer's licensing model. Whic one do they use?

Traditional Licensing Model: The Traditional licensing model is the only model that was available until NetBackup 6.5. Customers under this model count the number of NetBackup Clients , Servers, and Options they would like to run NetBackup on or with and purchase the same number of licenses . As they deploy additional NetBackup clients or servers or attach additional tape drives or storage to NetBackup they must license additional copies of the appropriate NetBackup product.

or

NBU Platform (per Front-end Terabyte) Licensing Model: This model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data that is protected rather than the number of NetBackup components deployed. This model is beneficial to customers who have or planned to deploy advanced features of NetBackup such as Enterprise Client, Application and Database Packs, Deduplication Option and RealTime.

If its Traditional, you quote 1 - SYMC NETBACKUP DEDUPLICATION OPTION

If its NBU Platform (per Front-end Terabyte), you quote 2 - SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM DEDUPLICATION OPTION ADD-ON

Hi Kiran,

do you have the this doc, related to 8.3 or upper version? The one which you attached in related to NetBackup 7.

Hi Raan,

you mentioned Real time Backup and deduplication as the advantages of Capacity based licenses. does it mean that Traditional license is not included those features?  Can I have a detailed feature comparison between these 2 types of licenses? any link or doc..

Thanks