Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup EV agent incremental backup fails

Jaap_de_Koning
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

A bit of a strange place for me to hang out, as I spent more time at the Enterprise Vault forums :)

I'm working on a environment where Netbackup is used to create a weekly full backup and daily incremental backups of our open EV partition. The full backups run without problems, but the incrementals crash on the DB backup.

I receive error 13 with the following description:

BEDS 0xE0000363: The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Fairly obvious, you would say. Just create a full backup. Except for the fact that I just finished a full backup job - succesfully.

The only thing I can think of is that the netbackup EV client is not compatible with Log Shipping, which we use to replicate our Vault environment off site.

The EV environment is EV 9.0.1, Netbackup is version 7.1.0.1. SQL is version 2005 SP4.

Can any of you Netbackup guru's help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Jaap de Koning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaap_de_Koning
Level 4
Partner Accredited

After setting Enterprise Vault to being set up the "classic" way everything works like a charm.

Maybe a heads up for the Netbackup Enterprise Vault agent team: I would love to see an option where I can do an incremental / cumulative backup of the open vault store, but specify that it does full database backups.

Thanks for the input Riaan!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaap_de_Koning
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I found this article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124510&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

I understand this, but I would like to know if log-shipping also causes the logs to be truncated.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm sure you're correct. The issue is probably that you're using 2 backup methods and this messes up the sequence numbers. Another post with this type of issue....

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/using-sql-agents-log-shipping-env

You'll have to switch to VVR for the replication :p

Jaap_de_Koning
Level 4
Partner Accredited

That confirms what I expected. I guess it's back to the good old file level & SQL agent backups then - at least there I can set the EV partition to incremental and the SQL databases to Full.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I found this article that explains log-shipping. Its a bit old but I suppose it still works the same. Seems it not a magical process but rather a set of backups, copies, and restores that are done.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2002/log-shipping-70/

So if you look at the technote you posted, this really is a backup, and the note says that you cannot use any other backup method to protect the databases......

Back to bpstart and bpend :)

Jaap_de_Koning
Level 4
Partner Accredited

After setting Enterprise Vault to being set up the "classic" way everything works like a charm.

Maybe a heads up for the Netbackup Enterprise Vault agent team: I would love to see an option where I can do an incremental / cumulative backup of the open vault store, but specify that it does full database backups.

Thanks for the input Riaan!