cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Exchange backups

mike915
Level 4

I'm looking to switch from Backup Exec to Netbackup and have a question about backing up Public Folders in Exchange.  In Backup Exec I can not backup a Public Folder that is on a server in the DAG unless I install the Windows Agent on each server in the DAG utilizing the Exchange agent.  When the Public Folder was on a standalone server i could see the information store and select the Public Folder Database.  When I bring up the select list of the server that is holding the public folder the Information Store is not listed instead the list is for a standard Windows Backup.  Is this the same in Netbackup as well? 

1 REPLY 1

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mike,

For NetBackup, you will need to install NetBackup Client software on all DAG mailbox servers, and if you run granular backup, you will need to install the software on all CAS servers as well.

After installing the client software, just pick one DAG mailbox server and launch NetBackup Backup, Archive & Restore GUI with "Run As Administrator".

Then click "Select for Backup".

In the All Folders tree, you should see "Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups"

If you dig deeper, you should see the DAG name > Microsoft Information Store > and a list of databases, including the Public Folder database.

If you dont see "Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups", usually that means NetBackup Client Service is denied access to do powershell query against the Exchange Server.

By default, this service runs as Local System. You may need to change it to another account that has the right permission to Exchange. In fact, if you run granular backup, the account must have Organization Management permission.

Cheers.