cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup FULL backup

Raju_la
Level 5

hello,

this could be basic question - how NB Handles process of files/dir which are added during full backup ? during incr its arch bit.

Assume i have a folder of 3 files and NB started and in progress and it backup 2 already and at that time if user added new file with in that

direcotry or server does NB will pick up or no ?  Is it maintain any journal entries before it start transfer the data ?

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

areznik
Level 5

Good question. I thought for the longest time that there is supposed to be a filelist built right before the backup starts moving data and only the files on that list get backed up, meaning anything added after should be missed. However I've tested this about a year ago and was able to consistently see files added after backup started writing also get included in that backup. It might be dependant on the platform, ie - NDMP is going to have different behavior from windows and standard (*nix) backups. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

There is a rule for WOFB to be backed up or disabled. However w.r.t to new file if I remember this should be skipped and will be included in next incr or full backup

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Raju.la

Perhaps I am wrong and another one will explain better.

But when I take long backups sometimes the backup failes to error code 1, that some files were not backup up.

What I am trying to say, for me Netbackup scans the repertories before stating the backups, so files deleted or added will and must be missing when the backup starts to backup its scans result.

For me it makes sense that added files during a backup were not backed up.

WOFB refers to open files that are already there, and that were skipped during a backup, but not for files that will be added.

But perhaps I am wrong and it is more dependent of OS how the cache of files is treated. I suppose in Windows added files can be add to the VSS snaphot.

And the code 1 error I was speaking before is only about unix Systems.

I hope Marianne will add somthing to this, because I think this is a very good question you are asking for.

Best regards,

Cruisen

areznik
Level 5

Good question. I thought for the longest time that there is supposed to be a filelist built right before the backup starts moving data and only the files on that list get backed up, meaning anything added after should be missed. However I've tested this about a year ago and was able to consistently see files added after backup started writing also get included in that backup. It might be dependant on the platform, ie - NDMP is going to have different behavior from windows and standard (*nix) backups. 

Raju_la
Level 5

yes NDMP it take snapshot so it won't add the new files which are added during data transfer and same thing with vm backups with snapshot/vcenter.

so i think it do pickup files which are added during backup for agent base backups !

thank you for inputs.