cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Fails on a filesystem with Error Code 71

Anoop_Kumar1
Level 5

Hello Experts !

I am new to netbackup and need suggestion/advise on above issue.

Issue : When backup team fires a backup on veritas volumes mounted, backup fails with error code 71. Then backup requests unix guy to unmount volumes, deport diskgroups, import diskgroups, run full fsck on volumes and mount the volumes. After this, backup runs fine.

Any clue where excatly its failing and what can I check?

NOTE : the volumes are on cloned devices from production to media servers.

Thanks & Regards,

~Anoop

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Mounted locally or via NFS?

Please post output of df -k (or df -h) on client and your policy config:
bppllist <policy-name> -U

Why all the manual steps? The snapshot client option can automate the whole process.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

So what is done before the the backups start? Is there a script (bpstart_notify) that moves & mounts the volumes on the client? This is obviously where the issue lies. What the unix admin is doing should be successfully performed by the script.

Anoop_Kumar1
Level 5

Unix admin is doing extra is running full fsck than normal fsck in script.

RiaanBadenhorst

Basically, what ever the admin is doing, the script should do. If you run the script and then try and look at the file system, it should work without issue. You should be able to read the files (like netbackup would), and then you'll know its ok to do the backup. Get a unix admin to review the script, there might be some issue with it. This is not a NetBackup issue :)

Marianne
Level 6

PLEASE suggest SnapShot client option to the customer. It automates the whole process and works GREAT!

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

run full fsck on volumes and mount the volumes. After this, backup runs fine.

It seems that the volume has some problem and the errors are being corrected by fsck run. See the below document for Status Code 71 too which also highlighted the file cannot be backed up due to an I/O error