cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup File & Directory Logging

Billy_The_Kidd
Level 3

Does anyone know if there is anyway to just catalog at the directory level rather than the file level for a single backup policy job?  I am running NetBackup 6.5.4 and have a client host that has a folder with 10's of thousands of files in it and the backup job keeps failing when it tries to backup this location.  In other backup applications I have been able to change the backup job logging to log only directories instead of files to work around this issue.  This does cause the issue of having to restore the entire folder just get one file back if needed, but that is something I am willing to live with in order to get a successful backup.  Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks...

6 REPLIES 6

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

with all honesty kindly help us to understand following line sad

if there is anyway to just catalog at the directory level rather than the file level for a single backup policy job? 

R U talking about FlashBackup ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There is no such option in NetBackup, it catalogs everything you backup. Its seems silly not to do so. What if you're looking for a file and you don't know where it was or when it was backed up. You could spend years restoring and never find it.

You could try flashbackup-windows as suggested above. It backs up the file systems rather then the files, yet still gives you the option of restoring individual files, or the whole thing. You'll need an Enterprise Client license to enable the option though.

Create a separate post with the issue you're facing on the failing backup :)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that this isn't an NDMP backup of filer?

A shame that there's no equivalent to the environment variable you can use in NDMP backups
i.e. set HIST = N

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Instead of backing up E

you could make new streams and have more than one running at a time

E 0-9

E a-g

E h-k

smaller jobs with 2 or 3 running at once could get it done faster, just don't run too many at once.

Billy_The_Kidd
Level 3

Thanks all, was considering breaking it down.  Will also look at the flash copy option.

Billy_The_Kidd
Level 3

Have created the following thread for the error message;

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-failure-19