Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup FreeBSD

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Recently we receive to make a backup two machines with FreeBSD OS. We need to know that it's possible to create a VMWare Backup without pluggins as SYMQuiesce on Linux systems.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can take a regular VM backup of it, but not a full mapped VM backup. In other words, you cannot perform individual file restore, only full VM restore.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH127089

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

And the backup of the VM will be in a crash consistent state, you will have to run fsck upon restore of this VM.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can take a regular VM backup of it, but not a full mapped VM backup. In other words, you cannot perform individual file restore, only full VM restore.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH127089

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok, thank you so much.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

And the backup of the VM will be in a crash consistent state, you will have to run fsck upon restore of this VM.

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

We have a test this week on a preproduction enviroment. When will finish the test, I write you the results.

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Finally, we have tested the backup of virtual machines with FreeBSD 10.1. The results of the backup were ok.

It was not necessary to do a fsck on the system when I restored de Virtual machine.

Regards

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Sounds to me like you got away without having to fsck.  Probably because the VM was quiet and not doing much, and the OS and file systems had done their periodic flush anyway.

IMO, I wouldn't construe the results of one test as evidence of no need to fsck after a VM recovery.  My advice to you... is to make the fsck a mandatory step in your recovery procedure.

Arturo_Lopez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok, I will write in our procedure of recovery that it's necessary to do a fsck in the recovery procedure.

Thank you so much for your help!