cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Hot Catalog Backup Size.

OfficeAutomatio
Level 3

Greetings,

I am running netbackup on a Windows 2012 Server. The "C" drive holds the O/S and the "D" drive holds the netbackup application, the "D" drive total storage is 836GB. Today I ran down to a couple hundred MB of free space and my images stalled and the admin console became unresponsive and I was getting vaious database error messages. Looking at the "D" drive the folder using the most space is the "Hot_Catalog_Backup" folder, its using 527GB. When I go in to this folder I see (5) img files that are taking up apprx. 1.5GB each, (1) image file is 6.3GB then (7) at 350MB each (5) at 1.5MB and the rest are 1k.

Is there a way to trim these files or determine why they are so big? I need to get space back but am not too familiar how to work with the the hot backup files.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Regards,

Keith

9 REPLIES 9

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The "Hot_Catalog_Backup" folder is the location where you are backing up the catalog to.  

To confirm:

In the hot catalog policy, check which storage is being used.  

Then pull up the storage unit properties - you should see the drive:\path\Hot_Catalog_Backup directory listed.

I would suggest pointing the hot catalog backup to some other location (storage unit),  especially since it appears to be the disk you already have NetBackup installed on.

sclind
   VIP   

We delete Hot Catalog files after a point in which they cease to have any value for us.  We also have sent them to an email account - which actually is more valuable then the copy on the server itself.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

The files in the screen shot are not copies of the DR emails - they are backed up data images.  If you remove them, you can't don't a recovery - even if you have the DR email.  

This appears to be the data we back up - a copy of the datat from netbackup\db and the NBDB/EMM database. 

I would recommend that you modify the hot catalog policy so that the data is not backed up to the same storage that houses them - send them to different storage.  If the disk fails, the data is lost and you will not be able to restore.

sclind
   VIP   

I agree.  But this looks like where his problem is:

"the most space is the "Hot_Catalog_Backup" folder, its using 527GB."

I think if he looks there he will find *lots* of files.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

sclind - the jpg clearly shows 62 files in that folder.  we are not talking about catalog DR email files.

@office automation - I would think very hard before deleting anything.

Deb is right, you have a non best practice setup.  If you don't understand how you got in to this situation then you should seek expert advice.  Do *not* be tempted to delete any files.  If your NetBackup installation has failed catastrophically then you may well end up needing those catalog backups.

Remember NetBackup Server will auto offline itself in an act of self preservation - and will not run until sufficient space is cleared down.  You should be ok, but if the space run out rapidly before NetBackup could protect itself, then you may be out of luck.

What you maybe able to try is to copy that hot catalog backup folder to another server, for temporary safe keeping, and then only delete the folder once you are 100% absolutely totally sure that the files have copied ok.  To be sure you should MD5 or SHA1/256/512 checksum the files after copying them, and compare the checksums before deleting the folder on disk.

Then you will need to fix your configuration, otherwise this situation may well happen again.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify my answers; hopefully this will help.

*** Please (with sugar) send your catalog backups to different storage immediately!  Go to the hot catalog policy, click on the drop down for the storage unit, change it to something other than what it currently is.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify my answers; hopefully this will help.

*** Please (with sugar) send your catalog backups to different storage immediately!  Go to the hot catalog policy, click on the drop down for the storage unit, change it to something other than what it currently is.

Hi Deb,

Actually, we have the CatalogBackup writing to a diskstorage group and a tape in addition to the local drive. However I am trying to figure up why the files are growing so much, why are 1GB+ in size.  I can stop the one copy from going to the local drive as I will still have the other two copies but I am wondering if I have another issue that is slowly growing.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

I would elimiate the backup to the local disk in that case.  If that drive fails, you wouldn't be able to restore the data anyway since it's on the same disk.  

Deb