cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Integration VMware SRM

BR_Netbackup
Level 2

I need to formulate a DR solution using SRM and NetBackup. Can any one please help in getting a guide which shows how NetBackup integrates with SRM 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup does not integrate with SRM suite though it is tighly integrated with vsphere and vcloud

Please check Admin guide for Netbackup for Vmware

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8575

I would consider SRM as DR solution and then would use Netbackup to protect any additional data.

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For RDM storage replication could be worth looking into.

Of course this depends on which disk system the RDM are located on, but most enterprise and midrange disk systems have replication capabilities today. Some might even have integration to SRM.

Alternatively I would look at Netbackup optimized duplication/replication between the primary and DR site to be able to restore the VM(s) with RDMs

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Can you please eloborate your requirements more. VMware SRM is itself a DR solution. Why do you want to use Netbackup?

BR_Netbackup
Level 2

I agree to your point but SRM has some limitation in terms of RDM etc. So I wanted to understand how NetBackup Integrates with SRM ie which part of VM landscape should be taken care by SRM and which part by NetBackup 

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

RDM backup is also not supported by Netbackup though you can protect the data inside the VM by installing inguest Netbackup agent. So basically whatever you cannot cover list it down and then prepare the DR plan. So for example for RDM we can have inguest agents in place and perform regular backups which can be aligned with DR. Keep in mind your RPTO which will decide the frequency and type(Full/INCR) of backup. With RDM the plan would be to recover the VMs first and then recover the data for those VMs using in guest backups. Please make a lot that if the RDM is the only disk with the VM then first you need to deploy template, bring the VM up, install Netbackup and then perform the recovery. You can document those whole process.

BR_Netbackup
Level 2

Thanks for the response. It is helpful. Is there any document which explians the NetBackup Integration with SRM or Advantages over SRM 

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Netbackup does not integrate with SRM suite though it is tighly integrated with vsphere and vcloud

Please check Admin guide for Netbackup for Vmware

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8575

I would consider SRM as DR solution and then would use Netbackup to protect any additional data.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

If you find the solution helpful you can mark it as solution.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For RDM storage replication could be worth looking into.

Of course this depends on which disk system the RDM are located on, but most enterprise and midrange disk systems have replication capabilities today. Some might even have integration to SRM.

Alternatively I would look at Netbackup optimized duplication/replication between the primary and DR site to be able to restore the VM(s) with RDMs

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

BR_Netbackup
Level 2

Thank you all for replying.What do you mean by additional Data Protection by Netbackup ?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Additional data is the data that you can not protect with SRM i.e. VMs with RDMs etc.