cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Job failed status 96

hussainmansooru
Level 2

Error bpbrm(pid=4272) from client '(Client Name)": ERR - failure reading file: Lotus Notes:\C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\mail\user.nsf (WIN32 1: Incorrect function. )
7/11/2011 8:00:45 PM - current media (Media ID) complete, requesting next media Any

Media have 1 Week retention, and data size is approx 250GB and media size is 800/1600 GB LTO4.

I get this error most couple of months, Please suggest any resolution for it.

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you using lotus notes agent for backups or not?

status 96: Do you have any tapes available in scratch pool?

Is this tape already having some data on it? if not

Is your tape hardware working fine? In some cases of tape drive failure, it may mark the medias as full after writing a little amount of data to it. If the same is happening to all the medias in library verify tape drive functionality with vendor specific diagnostic tools. If only happens to this media, verify the media for any errors...

You can refer to this doc for troublehooting the status code 96:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43229

Regards...

hussainmansooru
Level 2

Thanks Kiran,

Yes, I am using lotus notes agent for backup

No, I dont have any tapes in scratch pool.

Let me refer this document, and than i will update you!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Clarification, please?

Is your query about status 96 or about "Error bpbrm(pid=4272) from client '(Client Name)": ERR - failure reading file: Lotus Notes:\C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\mail\user.nsf (WIN32 1: Incorrect function. )" ?

The TN that Kiran posted will help you troubleshoot status 96.

We can help if you post the following:

Policy output (the policy failing with status 96):
<install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bppllist <policy-name> -U

available_media output (redirect to a file if there's lots of output):
<install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\goodies\available_media

(If you master is unix, the path is /usr/openv/netbackup/.......... )

Glo
Level 4

Also keep in mind that tapes expire en masse, several times a day, not immediately at the expiration time. If you have very few available tapes, you could get the 96 error now and be surprised a few hours later when some have expired and become available.

hussainmansooru
Level 2

same 96 error on Friday backup.

7/15/2011 9:58:16 PM - current media 1275L4 complete, requesting next media Any
7/15/2011 9:59:42 PM - end writing; write time: 03:55:06

unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Get more tapes. Add a Scratch pool and create a Barcode Rule to make all new tapes go into Scratch.

Use Media Summary Report (with Verbose option) plus available_media script to check/monitor media usage/availability.

Run these reports on a daily basis to ensure that you have enough Scratch media for that night's backups.

More troubleshooting tips in the TN that Kiran posted.