Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Lab Enviroment

Tabriz
Level 5

Hi Dear Community,

l have a one question.

is possible to buy netbackup lab enviroment for practice?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tabriz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Tabriz 

Not aware of anything myself but setting up a lab environment is quite simple (depending on the complexity you want to test). It can be done with a single server running VMware workstation quite happily (it would want to have a power CPU and lots of RAM) - I do this on my work laptop and setup various scenarios to test.

The main issue that will challenge you is licensing - it is possible to get a time limited license, but there is not really a license available for a home lab as such.

For the setup if you use VMware workstation, you can use iSCSI to attach tape (search for MHVTL for a virtual tape library). It is also possible to setup a VM guest running ESXi so you can also test things like VMWare backups. 

It is also possible to obtain things like NetApp virtual appliances to test NDMP type things and other vendors also have virtual appliances (for instance HPE have a virtual StoreOnce available). 

Good luck
David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Tabriz 

Not aware of anything myself but setting up a lab environment is quite simple (depending on the complexity you want to test). It can be done with a single server running VMware workstation quite happily (it would want to have a power CPU and lots of RAM) - I do this on my work laptop and setup various scenarios to test.

The main issue that will challenge you is licensing - it is possible to get a time limited license, but there is not really a license available for a home lab as such.

For the setup if you use VMware workstation, you can use iSCSI to attach tape (search for MHVTL for a virtual tape library). It is also possible to setup a VM guest running ESXi so you can also test things like VMWare backups. 

It is also possible to obtain things like NetApp virtual appliances to test NDMP type things and other vendors also have virtual appliances (for instance HPE have a virtual StoreOnce available). 

Good luck
David

Hi Mr @davidmoline 

Yes,I have enough cpu and 64 gb ram.

But l don't know where l have to get license ?

Thanks