cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Large Daily Backup

Tev
Level 2

Hi all, 

I have a question on regards to daily backups for an environment I am taking over. 

I am noticing that Daily incremental backups are performing Full backups.

The activity monitor still shows the jobs as a Daily schedule but the backup size is 1TB plus.

The policy for this job only has a Daily schedules, the Weekly and Monthly schedules are on another policy. 

Is this best practice. 

thank you. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Certainly not best practice, but that is not to say it can't work.

What type is the Daily schedule ? See under attributes on the schedule properties

Could be a configuration error, as the default type is Full when creating a schedule.

Another thing that can cause something like this is another program setting the archive bit so everything gets backed up. The migation of that is to use modified time.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

Will_Restore
Level 6

Incremental backups act as full backups if the backup policy doesn't contain a full backup schedule.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH164114

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Certainly not best practice, but that is not to say it can't work.

What type is the Daily schedule ? See under attributes on the schedule properties

Could be a configuration error, as the default type is Full when creating a schedule.

Another thing that can cause something like this is another program setting the archive bit so everything gets backed up. The migation of that is to use modified time.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne2
Level 4
Full and Incr schedules must be in the same policy.
Ensure that a successful Full for the policy exists before running Incr in the same policy.

vedara
Level 4

I would say to check the daily schedule configuration.

What type of backup you are referring here?

What is the size of the Weekly and Monthly Full backups for this client?

Since when the daily backup started backing up 1 TB?

Any configuration changes made to this policy/client recently?

Regards

Vinod Kumar Edara

Regards
Vinod Kumar Edara

Will_Restore
Level 6

Incremental backups act as full backups if the backup policy doesn't contain a full backup schedule.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH164114

This is a Differential Incremental Backup the the job hasnt changed since I took over.

It has run quite a few times succesfully but it recently started this behavior. 

The Full backup for this client is on a different policy.

I will be creating a new policy with both the Full and Daily in the same policy.