Sorry for the non-technical ques - I have some licensing issues ....and I browsed most other licensing posts in this space - but couldn't find answers ...so I hope you don't mind my posting annoying licensing questions here.
1. I assume that I can use my Netback for NDMP Tier 3/4 entitlements to cover some Tier 1/2 needs .... if I absolutely must for some reason. True? Efficient? Probably not. But possible. Yes?
2. Lots of Netbackup products have the metric of "drive". Does this measure both virtual plus physical, or just physical? [got Opt Lib Tape Drive 11142, Opt Shared Storage 13124, Opt Vault Base 14418, Opt Vault Addl 13351]
3. For NetBackup Client App / DB Pack when used to back up Oracle DB servers ....when would I also be required to assign a NetBackup Server licenses or can I always assign just a NetBackup Client license to the Oracle DB servers.
4. For products with the Front End TB metric ... such as NetBackup Platform Base Compl Ed ....how is this product used in conjunction with another one .....such as Netbackup Dedupl Data Prot OPt Xplat OnPrem Std?? Both products have a metric of Front End TB...can they share FETB? Or is it mutually exclusive use of FETB for each product?? Relationship is what??
5. And for Netbackup Virt Appliance...with the metric of just TB ....I assume this covers only virtual environment TB data...although the associated media/master servers are physical... Agree??
Again sorry for the licensing stuff.
This is my take on your questions - it would be better to seek confirmation from your account team (especially as they will know what you are licensed for)
Hope this helps, but as I said at the start, your account team is the best place to ask these questions.
David - I can't find info on that discontinuation of NEVC. Is that a recent thing? Plently of online posts seem to describe the product [ent virt client] in current tense and make it appear to be still available. Can you send weblink that described that discontinuation? thanks
Hi @maoconn1 - yes my mistake (I did warn you this was my opinion only ). NEVC licensing is still available. Sorry for the confusion - now I'm going to have remember which model has been discontinued.
If want to use the NEVC licensing type, it can be mixed in the same environment as any of the platform base licensing but not with traditional licensing. The metric for NECV is purely CPU count of the virtual servers being protected. The master/media servers in this situation can be physical.
Sorry all - NEVC licenses were discontinued in 2018.
I am in Distribution and we received Channel Notification back then.
Believe me - we put up a massive fight. To no avail.
On current price lists, only Maintenance SKUs are available.
On the EOL tab of the pricelist, we see the following for NEVC licenses:
|END OF PUBLISH||OBSOLETE|
Yes, when Veritas discontinued NEVC, they introduced the 'Flexible' Capacity license model.
Customers can protect 1.5TB virtual data for every 1TB license purchased.
For physical clients, the relationship is still 1:1.
The best laid plans....
David ... the boss is happy I found some answers on these misc topics but now says "Show Me"...meaning I'm supposed to find published doc that supports these items.
I'm sorry to be a pest ... but is it too much of a hassle to you to attach links to whatever online doc is available from Veritas that supports any or all these points??
Note...Marianne already supplied a Mountain of Doc on wide-ranging topics (thanks for that Marianne) and I went thru some of it ...and i also searched all kinds of other generally-available doc for days.... but I'm not finding those magic sentences that bless these 5 points (above). Maybe I'm just blind....or dense. Lots of doc just sideswipes the point - but doesn't hit it.
If you could possibly attach links to V doc that supports any portion of this - I'll be a happy camper and go away quietly. If I get a pay bonus I will share! Not.
Do you have a local rep or partner you work with? These sorts of questions should be easily answered with a local rep to provide you detailed help to work through the things you need to verify.
See if you can get to this doc: https://sort.veritas.com/DocPortal/pdf/NBU82_Licensing_Guide
It should answer at least some of your questions.
In addition to the licensing guide the product use guide contains (I believe) the rest of the picture.
The current and archived ones can be found online here https://www.veritas.com/company/legal/license-agreements and specifically for NBU8.2 https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/eulas/NetBackup_8.2_PUR_24June2018.pdf.
And as @vtas_chas indicated, your local account team should be able to answer these questions.