cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Licensing

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

Hi every1,

This is my first write to any Discussion forum, i will need ur help on many topics.

i want to know information about the Netbackup Licensing. Does someone has any idea how can i do licensing when i have a new datacentre environment  ?

will someone help me out on following queries ?

1) Netbackup agents and their licensing ?

2) Does separate license will be required for adding clients like UNIX (Solaris, Linux), Windows , Databases (Oracle, Sybase etc) , ESX (Vmware)

3) like in my environment, i have 4 Oracle databases running on SUN E2900 system and only 1 license is purchased. 
     My query is that, if i want to run another database like SYBASE on same server, do i have to buy another license ? or per server license will be enough ?

Another query related to databse is that, 4 database are running on Primary Site, and 1 system V890 is on DR site as a Standby, Does that V890 system will reqiure a separate NBU database License ?  same case for MS-SQL.     

4) If in NBU environment, i have a TAPE Library like SL500 with 4 drives and i want to add more drives ? whats in this scenario ?

5) Does a special License will be required for a single Tape library with NO Drive ?

Specially i want to know information about licensing in tape Library environment. 

5 REPLIES 5

Kali_Elysees
Level 3
Employee

Shakil,

As far as I know the licensing process for Net Backup is one is to one meaning 1 license is to 1 server. (Just like BACKUP EXEC) Same thing applies with agents and options, you have to purchase separate license per agent or option you wish to use or activate unless a specific option is bundled with an agent then you have to use the same key.

The following Agents and options are purchased separately

Veritas NetBackup Deployment
Veritas NetBackup for Enterprise Vault Enterprise Vault
Veritas NetBackup Vault Veritas NetBackup Vault
Veritas NetBackup for DB2 Veritas NetBackup for DB2
Veritas NetBackup for Informix
Veritas NetBackup for Lotus Notes
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Active Directory
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Office SharePoint
Veritas NetBackup for NDMP Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Oracle Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for SAP Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Sybase
OptionsVeritas NetBackup Bare Metal Restore
Veritas NetBackup Desktop and Laptop Option
Veritas NetBackup Encryption Options Physical
NetBackup Media Server Encryption Option
Veritas NetBackup Flexible Disk Option
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Hyper-V 
Veritas NetBackup Open Storage Option
Veritas NetBackup Shared Storage Option
Veritas NetBackup for VMware

For Licensing assistance or query, login a case on https://mysupport.symantec.com/
or send an email to customercare_emean@symantec.com 

------
hope that helps..

Kali_Elysees
Level 3
Employee

Shakil,

As far as I know the licensing process for Net Backup is one is to one meaning 1 license is to 1 server. (Just like BACKUP EXEC) Same thing applies with agents and options, you have to purchase separate license per agent or option you wish to use or activate unless a specific option is bundled with an agent then you have to use the same key.

The following Agents and options are purchased separately

Veritas NetBackup Deployment
Veritas NetBackup for Enterprise Vault Enterprise Vault
Veritas NetBackup Vault Veritas NetBackup Vault
Veritas NetBackup for DB2 Veritas NetBackup for DB2
Veritas NetBackup for Informix
Veritas NetBackup for Lotus Notes
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Active Directory
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Office SharePoint
Veritas NetBackup for NDMP Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Oracle Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for SAP Veritas
Veritas NetBackup for Sybase
OptionsVeritas NetBackup Bare Metal Restore
Veritas NetBackup Desktop and Laptop Option
Veritas NetBackup Encryption Options Physical
NetBackup Media Server Encryption Option
Veritas NetBackup Flexible Disk Option
Veritas NetBackup for Microsoft Hyper-V 
Veritas NetBackup Open Storage Option
Veritas NetBackup Shared Storage Option
Veritas NetBackup for VMware

For Licensing assistance or query, login a case on https://mysupport.symantec.com/
or send an email to customercare_emean@symantec.com 

------
hope that helps..

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
1) Netbackup agents and their licensing ?

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/licensing/index.jsp

) Does separate license will be required for adding clients like UNIX (Solaris, Linux), Windows , Databases (Oracle, Sybase etc) , ESX (Vmware)

for windows and unix normal standard client is fine, For databases seperate application client license is reqiuired, for ESX you require enterprise client.

3) like in my environment, i have 4 Oracle databases running on SUN E2900 system and only 1 license is purchased. 
     My query is that, if i want to run another database like SYBASE on same server, do i have to buy another license ? or per server license will be enough ?

yes, you need to buy another license for that application even though it is active in the same server which has database client for another application.

Another query related to databse is that, 4 database are running on Primary Site, and 1 system V890 is on DR site as a Standby, Does that V890 system will reqiure a separate NBU database License ?  same case for MS-SQL.   

yes, here license is based on application per single server, so two different applicaitons within single server, then two licenses are required.. in your case since DR is another physical box  you require an paper license for that too.  

4) If in NBU environment, i have a TAPE Library like SL500 with 4 drives and i want to add more drives ? whats in this scenario ?

license is based on tape drive, buy license for one more drive

5) Does a special License will be required for a single Tape library with NO Drive ?

good question, there cannot be a scenrio like a tape library without drive.. ha ha aha ha

Specially i want to know information about licensing in tape Library environment. 

just check with your pre-sales guy. he shall claify this all...

Jim_Horalek
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

The NetBackup Application and Database Pack are licensed per database and system. It is possible to protect multiple instances of the same type of database (e.g. 7 Sybase databases) on the same system with one Application and Database Pack. If multiple types of databases are to be protected (e.g. Sybase and Informix) then multiple licenses are required. Additionally, if the same type of database is used on a multiple OSs (e.g. on a virtualized system running Oracle on Linux and Oracle Windows) then additional licenses are required for each OS. The exception to this is when SharePoint and Microsoft SQL are licensed on the same machine – in this case only a single license is required as they are regarded as a single application. The NetBackup Application and Database Pack license covers agents for the following databases and applications: Oracle

Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint Portal

IBM DB2, IBM Lotus Notes

Informix

Sybase

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Each server that you backup over the LAN needs a Standard Client license.  Each server backed up over the SAN needs an enterprise client license.  Each virtual machine backing up as a regular client will require a Standard client license.  Each virtual machine that will leverage Netbackup VCB integration, will require an Enterprise client license.

Each robotic tape drive will need a library based tape drive license.

The Netbackup server and NetBackup enterprise server license does not include any robotic tape drive licenses. 

Application and Database licenses are licensed per database and per system, so you will need 2 Application and DataBase Pack Licenses to perform hot backups for both Oracle and Sybase.  Since both databases are running on the same OS, there is no need to purchase an additional client license.

Is it necessary to hot backup standby databases on the standby server?  If so, you will need to also purchase addition Application and DataBase Pack licenses.