Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Log Analyze Tools

Girijesh
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Are there any tools or utilities available to analyze the log file of netback up 6.5
Your response will be appreciated ?

One of client is looking for this option

Thanks
Girijesh

3 REPLIES 3

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Girijesh, I know of only one such utilities, and I believe currently it is internal only.  It is used to analyze resource management.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Which log file ?

As NBUTSE mentioned, Symantec have a utility that will help analise the nbjm/ pem/ rb /emm logs.  This is internal only and does not necessary provide solid answers, but it does help greatly in finding the area of the potential issue.

The problem with the vx logs is that there are multi-threaded, so to be able to follow a job through them you need to know what should happen next, or, what should have happened previously, for example thread 5 may be doing something with a backup one moment, and a restore the next, whilst thread 2 has become available and is now doing the next stage of the backup.

If you happen to be looking at the raw logs (/usr/openv/logs) then yes, there is a command that makes these readable, vxlogview.  eg.

vxlogview -a -p 51216 -o 111 -d all 

The -o is the originator id, 111 is nbemm,  The others can be found in the /usr/openv/netbackup/nblog.conf file

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable
If its for a specific backup job then backuptrace command could help you. Look that up in the Commands guide/manuals. This uses the legacy debug logs, to gather all logging for a specific jobid. vxlogs are tricky to read /understand make sense of.

See my link to the NetBackup Videos for several tutorials on logging.