cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master Server Move & Catalog Import

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am planing the move of an NBU Master Server (7101) from a 32bit platform to a 64bit platform - in preparation for a 7.5 upgrade of the entire environment.

I have performed the move of a master server many times previously, and always followed the guidelines of keeping the same name and IP address for the new master.  This time however I would like to change the IP address of the master server, and am wondering why the stipulation exists that the IP address must remain the same.  I can understand the name of the master server needing to be kept, as it is referred to in many places, but surely once the master server name can be resolved (by DNS) to the correct IP address we should be OK ?

My plan would be to build a new W2K8R2 server (off network) with the same name but a new IP address.  Cease all work on the current master server, shutdown all media servers, backup the catalog, and power off the master.  Power on the new master, change DNS to refelct the new IP address of the master server name, install NBU 7101 (same as existing server),  import the catalog and test all is well.  Then power on the media servers and check device configuration and connectivity.

Does anyone see why this will cause problems and will not work ?

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am pretty sure that i have done this in the past without an issue but you do need to make sure that no host files are in play and may need to do a nbclntcmd -clear_host_cache on everything else to make sure that they connect.

I cannot think of anywhere within NBU itself that it stores its IP address.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am pretty sure that i have done this in the past without an issue but you do need to make sure that no host files are in play and may need to do a nbclntcmd -clear_host_cache on everything else to make sure that they connect.

I cannot think of anywhere within NBU itself that it stores its IP address.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't see any issue with your plans. All should be fine. The only place where NBU stores IP address is in host cache for 1 hour. I do not believe that the host cache is backed up and recovered as part of catalog recovery. Media server host cache should be 'clean' by the time you boot it up. I believe you are good to go!

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I will try this and report back - but as per my original question I don't see why this won't work as expected.

AJ