Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master Server Refresh

SANGSDK
Level 2

Present Setup :

1. Windows 2003 EE Master Server running Netbackup 7.5.0.6

2. Netbackup Appliance 5220 configured as a Media server.

3. One SAN Client and Four SAN Media Servers.

4. IBM 3573 Tape Library.

SAN Client backs to the appliance first and then a tape out is initiated . The project now is to migrate the master server to the new hardware . The summary of the steps as understood from the previous post says : Configure new server with same IP & hostname , Install same version netbackup software onto new server , configure the devices , restore the old server catalog.

Are the above steps ok in terms of the setup mentioned above. I am in doubt about , when to configure the appliance and reconfigure the SAN client ?

Require your guidance please .

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Configure new server with same IP & hostname <<<IP need not be the same, just the name and it must resolve

Install same version netbackup software onto new server , configure the devices  <<configure devices refers to the library/tape drives where you'll get the catalog backup from, not the appliance etc.

restore the old server catalog

Once restored you'll need to verify your appliances are present and accessible in the configuration. Might need to re-add the credentials.

San client configuration is performed on the client so you should not need to redo it.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6

NBU master server hardware refresh is documented in this TN:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Catalog recovery will restore all dabases and config.

Just ensure name lookup from new master before you start with NBU installation and catalog restore.

If you have any hosts entry on existing master server, add same entries to new master.

Be careful with hostname on new server - if you have used shortname to install and config NBU on existing master, do the same on new server.
If you have used FQDN on existing server, do the same on new server.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

All works a treat and done it many times - the only other thing i have not seen mentioned is that it must also be installed to the same location as the original

So if you current Master is D:\Program Files\Veritas your new one must be the same - and if you have moved  any parts of the configuration (netbackup\db\ folder moved, logs moved, NetBackupDB\data moved etc.) you should replicate that on your new Master before doing the catalog recovery.

Hope this helps

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Configure new server with same IP & hostname <<<IP need not be the same, just the name and it must resolve

Install same version netbackup software onto new server , configure the devices  <<configure devices refers to the library/tape drives where you'll get the catalog backup from, not the appliance etc.

restore the old server catalog

Once restored you'll need to verify your appliances are present and accessible in the configuration. Might need to re-add the credentials.

San client configuration is performed on the client so you should not need to redo it.

Marianne
Level 6

NBU master server hardware refresh is documented in this TN:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Catalog recovery will restore all dabases and config.

Just ensure name lookup from new master before you start with NBU installation and catalog restore.

If you have any hosts entry on existing master server, add same entries to new master.

Be careful with hostname on new server - if you have used shortname to install and config NBU on existing master, do the same on new server.
If you have used FQDN on existing server, do the same on new server.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

All works a treat and done it many times - the only other thing i have not seen mentioned is that it must also be installed to the same location as the original

So if you current Master is D:\Program Files\Veritas your new one must be the same - and if you have moved  any parts of the configuration (netbackup\db\ folder moved, logs moved, NetBackupDB\data moved etc.) you should replicate that on your new Master before doing the catalog recovery.

Hope this helps

SANGSDK
Level 2

Thanks a lot to Riann / Marianne / Mark : Thanks a lot for your reply . It really helped me in clearing my doubt . All of you have contributed rightly to my doubt , hence i would like to mark each of your comment as solution.

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified

Following another technote for NetBackup Master Migraton Steps .