cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master backp server access

raj555551
Level 3

Hi,

We  use net backup as a backup software.

We have two servers tmta-m2001 ( production server,oracle db running ),tmta-m3001 ( Test server ).Both server has same OS and netbackup client.

both server has own master server.

tmta-m2001-> net backup master server dgl-m100

tmta-m3001->net backup master server dgl-m200

I am asked to do refresh database ( clone ) from tmta-m2001 to tmta-m3001.

we use the below configuration in tmta-m2001

ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=tmta-m2001,NB_ORA_CLIENT=dgl-m100,NB_ORA_POLICY=Default_Ora,NB_ORA_SCHED=IM5PRD_ora_hot)';

should i use same configuration in tmta-m3001 to retrive the data from master backup server ( dgl-m100 )

Please help us

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bp.conf is located on your client in /usr/openv/netbackup/ and is the configuration file for NetBackup. It contains the client name, list of servers that can back it up, logging settings etc. If you're running Windows Client its located in the registry.

You can also change the master server name by opening the host properties > Clients > YOUR CLIENT NAME (Servers tab)

Type in the other master server's name, then hit the "make master" button. Now your client belongs to the other domain and can receive data from that master. Also add the media servers that have the data to the server list.

When you've restored you can change it all back for normal operation.

View solution in original post

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have some points to be clarified. Will you try to restore backup directly from dlg-m100 thru network, or from dgl-m200 after importing backups into dgl-m200 domain? If former, NB_ORA_SERV is dgl-m100. If later? NB_ORA_SERV is dgl-m200. In both case, NB_ORA_CLIENT is tmta-m2001. NB_ORA_SCHED should be omitted.

As Riaan suggested, no bp.conf exists on Windows. Server list is stored in registry, so you should edit it in Client Host Properties.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

To retrieve backup from production environent, you need to supply sufficient NB_ORA_* environments. NB_ORA_SERV represents master server, and NB_ORA_CLIENT original client. Your configuration seems odd as client name is supplies to NB_ORA_SERV, and master server name to NB_ORA_CLIENT.

Adding to consideration for NB_ORA_*, you need to consider following points:

• allowing alternate client restore by creatig and writing file(s) under altnames directory on production master server
  • allowing master and media servers to access to destination client. Add them into additional servers list of this client.
  • destination client must be reachable from production master and media servers.

NBU35
Level 6

Adding to Yasuhisa's post, u might also need to import media & Backup image containing backup of tmta-m2001 to your test master server dgl-m200.

RiaanBadenhorst

You won't be able to restore to that client from the tmta-m2001 master because the alternate client belongs to a different domain (tmta-m3001). You would have to move the alternate client to the the tmta-m2001 domain. you can do that by editing the bp.conf file and updating the first SERVER entry to reflect tmta-m2001.

Alternatively you can import the media as Champ35 suggested.

Then follow the note below to restore the alternate client.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77362

raj555551
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your support and corrected me.
In my first post,i wrongly posted configuration info.

tmta-m2001
ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=dgl-m100,NB_ORA_CLIENT=tmta-m2001,NB_ORA_POLICY=Default_Ora,NB_ORA_SCHED=IM5PRD_ora_hot)';

should i use the above one in tmta-m3001 when restore time?
or
In tmta-m3001,NB_ORA_CLIENT is whetner tmta-m3001 or tmta-m2001

Thanks

raj555551
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your continue support.....

I can see only install_path\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.restrictions.

I couldn't see bp.conf in the link.Is the file placed in master server?

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

bp.conf is located on your client in /usr/openv/netbackup/ and is the configuration file for NetBackup. It contains the client name, list of servers that can back it up, logging settings etc. If you're running Windows Client its located in the registry.

You can also change the master server name by opening the host properties > Clients > YOUR CLIENT NAME (Servers tab)

Type in the other master server's name, then hit the "make master" button. Now your client belongs to the other domain and can receive data from that master. Also add the media servers that have the data to the server list.

When you've restored you can change it all back for normal operation.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I have some points to be clarified. Will you try to restore backup directly from dlg-m100 thru network, or from dgl-m200 after importing backups into dgl-m200 domain? If former, NB_ORA_SERV is dgl-m100. If later? NB_ORA_SERV is dgl-m200. In both case, NB_ORA_CLIENT is tmta-m2001. NB_ORA_SCHED should be omitted.

As Riaan suggested, no bp.conf exists on Windows. Server list is stored in registry, so you should edit it in Client Host Properties.