cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master server /var file system full due to Core files genrated frequently

Tekkali
Level 4

Hi All

Any one suggest /var file sytem genrated more core files and reached thresholds. Please suggest

# uname -a
SunOS "Masterserver" 5.10 Generic_147440-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240
# bpgetconfig -g Master server
Master
Solaris, Solaris10
NetBackup
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin
SunOS 5.10
#

-rw------- 1 root root 5688330 Jul 16 20:33 core_Masterserver_vxened.64bit_0_0_1405506786_9019
-rw------- 1 root root 5688330 Jul 16 20:33 core_Masterserver_vxened.64bit_0_0_1405506786_9020
-rw------- 1 root root 5688330 Jul 16 20:42 core_Masterserver_vxened.64bit_0_0_1405507337_10442
-rw------- 1 root root 5688330 Jul 16 20:44 core_Masterserver_vxened.64bit_0_0_1405507446_10736

Application : Netbackup
Zone : global

1 of NB_dbsrv running Testing for >=1
ERROR:  0 of bmrd running. Testing for >=1

I am expecting refresh will resolve this issue, It's currect or please suggest any other way to stope core files.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The SNMP Extension was a Consulting only installation many years ago. Pre-6.0 days if I remember correctly.

There is no need for this add-on since NBU 6.0.
NBU 6.x had NOM where SNMP could be enabled and with NBU 7.x, OpsCentre can be used.

My recommendation is to get rid of it.

Try this online manual that Google found:

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/34000/TECH3...

In this manual you will find installation steps - so, you will have to 'reverse-engineer' the steps - stop/kill the processes started by the /etc/rc3.d/S998ene file (you may look for a 'K' equivalent in rc0.d to kill processes) and then remove all installation files documented here.

View solution in original post

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Wow, ENE!  That takes me back.

I would be VERY surprised if it was actually working with NetBackup 7.5.0.4.  (How long have you had 7.5.0.4 on here?  Did you ever have 5.x, 4.5 or even earlier on here?)

The quickest thing you could do, probably, if for some reason you still have a populated /usr/openv/ene directory on your server... I would recommend renaming it.  Everything which is attempting to start up is probably in there (specifically, vxened).

The only documentation I can recommend is the one Marianne already found, and even it probably won't be too helpful:

VERITAS SNMP Extension (tm) Administrator's Guide
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH34771

(You're lucky one of our more zealous "expire fairies" hasn't made this one disappear yet!)

SNMP is now exclusively in the OpsCenter arena these days.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us output of the following (from the folder where these files are):

file core_Masterserver_vxened.64bit_0_0_1405506786_9019

Will_Restore
Level 6

Seems vxened is SNMP Extension daemon:

VERITAS SNMP Extension automatically and reliably monitors and notifies system
administrators of hardware or software failures in a VERITAS Storage Management
environment.

Found this in 10 year old manual. surprise

Tekkali
Level 4

Hi Marianne / Will

Thanks for response...

/var/core under available and genrate huge and it' filling /var file system

Please suggest..

Will_Restore
Level 6

quick & dirty: disable vxened until you can figure why it's crashing

also, OS patch 147440-19 is very old and should be updated

Tekkali
Level 4

How can I disable and wt is the impact incase it's disble.

Marianne
Level 6

The SNMP Extension was a Consulting only installation many years ago. Pre-6.0 days if I remember correctly.

There is no need for this add-on since NBU 6.0.
NBU 6.x had NOM where SNMP could be enabled and with NBU 7.x, OpsCentre can be used.

My recommendation is to get rid of it.

Try this online manual that Google found:

http://clientui-kb.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/34000/TECH3...

In this manual you will find installation steps - so, you will have to 'reverse-engineer' the steps - stop/kill the processes started by the /etc/rc3.d/S998ene file (you may look for a 'K' equivalent in rc0.d to kill processes) and then remove all installation files documented here.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Wow, ENE!  That takes me back.

I would be VERY surprised if it was actually working with NetBackup 7.5.0.4.  (How long have you had 7.5.0.4 on here?  Did you ever have 5.x, 4.5 or even earlier on here?)

The quickest thing you could do, probably, if for some reason you still have a populated /usr/openv/ene directory on your server... I would recommend renaming it.  Everything which is attempting to start up is probably in there (specifically, vxened).

The only documentation I can recommend is the one Marianne already found, and even it probably won't be too helpful:

VERITAS SNMP Extension (tm) Administrator's Guide
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH34771

(You're lucky one of our more zealous "expire fairies" hasn't made this one disappear yet!)

SNMP is now exclusively in the OpsCenter arena these days.