Did you mean: 

Netbackup Media Server on Exchange feasible or not

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Netbackup Media Server on Exchange

3 mailbox servers in DAG (exch2010sp1)
MBX1, MBX2 & MBX3
3 robotic library connected to same SAN switch where Exchange servers are.

Netbackup 7.1 on Windows 2008

Due to low throughput rate over LAN. We are planning to deploy media server binaries on each mailbox servers and get all three robotic libraries zoned to each server respectively.

If i initiate backup from MBX1 for DAG, i believe it will backup DAG but data would be pulled to MBX1 drive. Will data be flowing through same SAN or it will travel  through LAN .

Can i configure policy in such manner to take a max utilization of all three MBX server during backup so that backups are writed to their specific drives only instead of going to either of them.

Recommendation and suggesions are welcome respective to above configurations.

1 REPLY 1

Rick_Brown
Level 4

Yep, it's feasible & works no matter how many "Exchange" media server you have.

Each media server is configured with the tape drives (SSO) and a storage unit is created for each media server like normal. The Exchange policy uses the DAG name for the clien name.

A storage Unit group needs to be created putting all 3 media servers STU in it. The NBU policy needs to list the STUG.  In the NBU policy, we have it setup to backup the Active DB's only.

When the policy is started, it will fire off backups against each media server which has an active database on it and start. It's pretty slick how if know's which media server to use for each database to keep the backup traffic local to the correct media server.

Hope this helps.