cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Migrator for Enterprise Vault

scheatham
Level 2

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me, please. I have some enterprise vault collections that have been migrated to tape via netbackup. Everything is working fine when retrieving a stubbed file but the loading and reading of the tape is way to slow. Is there a way to make a duplicate of the tape to disk and just use that duplicate on disk as the primary? If so, can someone provide steps for duplication and setting as primary. Running Netbackup 6.5 (I know, I know - Dinosaur) but company had no budget to upgrade. Thanks so much for any help

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Retrieving from tape via NBU is going to be slow... there is no workaround.
If you search the EV forum, you will see that all EV experts strongly advise against backup storage as Vault stores...

NetBackup should only ever be 'secondary' storage location for EV.
So, the primary vault storage should be supported SAN/NAS/CIFS storage, where the vaulted files should stay for pre-configured period that will satisfy most recall requests. 
Only once the period on Primary storage have expired, should the archives be moved to tape via NetBackup.

The EV Compatibility Guide lists SAN and Network Storage as Primary Vault storage. NetBackup is listed under Secondary storage. 

If you have available disk, look at the EV config to ensure that disk is primary EV vault storage, and NBU secondary EV storage. 

Hi, Thank you so much for the reply. We learned the hard way. What I am now tring to do is make a duplicate copy of the tape to disk and use the disk as the primary copy in netbackup. Is this doable? That way when evault requests a restore, netbackup uses the disk instead of the tape. Does that make any sence? Thank you, Ma'am

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have personally implemented EV migration to NetBackup tape in one project many years ago, but I did not use disk storage, just a tape.

When you review this document: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038215. it does not recommend Basic Disk storage units between possible SU types (frankly said, I am not sure why), it allows only MSDP based storage unit when you are 7.0 above (I see you are not).

I think you will get quicker answer when you test it by yourself (for one or two CABs). But even if it will wotk, whats the difference between NBU duplication from tape to disk, and a complete rearchive from tape back to disk on EV level and probably EV re-migration to another media?

P.S. is NBU used just for EV migration in your company? With 6.5 version, you cannot backup almost anything from today's client systems...

Regards

Michal

The difference is there is no disk available on evault. So want to duplicate in netbackup from tape to disk so its faster. I just dont know how to create that duplicate from tape to disk and "Make it the primary copy"

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

1/ in your NBU, create a disk storage unit pointing to folder where you want to have duplicated images

2/ find out some backupids for your CABs (Activity Monitor, Catalog, Report Client Backups,...)

3/ use them in a command "bpduplicate -dstunit <dstunit> -backupid <backupid> -set_primary 1"

4/ test result from EV side

Later for a mass migration, you can use -policy insted of -backupid.

Regards

Michal

Thank you, Michal. Quick question - The bpduplicate command you provided....can that be used to duplicate all images on a certain piece of media? Like -m 0987L5? I am trying to duplicate all images a few pieces of media to disk and set the images on disk to primary. Thanks

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

not it is not possible. I think the reason is that copy requirements are usually based on policy/client/database level, not target media level.

However in GUI, you can use Catalog Section in NetBackup Console, and pre-filter images for duplication with Media ID field (Action = Duplicate).

Regards

Michal