cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup NOM & (re)installing VxAT to make it work

TandyBrands
Level 4

Ok, go t a bit more complex issue.

Seems that NOM was installed ages agon on my backup machine (NOTE: I inherited this mess, didn't create it) :)  Of course, there is no record of a password to log in.  When I went to the webpage login, the defaults (Admin, Vxadmin) did not work (there also was no domain selections available).  I also did do a resetpasswd from the command line, although it was happy to do so, it did not solve the login problem.

Thus came the endless hours of researching for a solution (here is where my mess starts).  Short of it, VxAT needs (re)installing.  Further, must make sure that it is installed in proper order.  So, removed NOM, removed VxAT (although there is one piece I cannot seem to uninstall, "Symantec Product Authentication Service Client.)

The problem right now, I cannot install nor uninstall the 64-bit Authentication Service Client from the machine.When I attempt to do so, I get the following:

I have looked for anything out there that would allow me to manually remove this piece (registry fix, etc) but have had no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What version of NetBackup are you using?

NOM was for NBU V6*

If you are now on V7* then you need OpsCenter.

Rather than dig deeper (and i have seen servers killed by hacking away at the registry too much) I would suggest the following:

1. If you are on V6* then re-install NOM but select a different installation location (if the uninstall has left the NOM services behind then you should be safe to remove those from the reistry and reboot before trying this), This will give you a new instance and database etc and as long as you get the latest version then the authentication component will uninstall previosu versions as it goes along.

2. If you are on V7 then diable any NOM Services and install OpsCenter to a different location to NOM, again for a fresh start.

Hope this helps - NOM uninstalls are notoriously difficult to get rid of, even when upgraded it seems to leave parts behind.

Good luck and get back to us if you need more help on the way.

TandyBrands
Level 4

Thanks for the note back.  Yea, I have 6.5.4 installed currently.  NOM is uninstalled, it's the Authentication/Authorization parts that are causing issues. 

So, if I re-install NOM, will I end up uninstalling it once it cleans up the authenticaation portion, so that I can reinstall the 32 bit Authentication, then 64 bit authentication, then NOM again?

Thanks,

James

TandyBrands
Level 4

Well, that was short lived.  When I attempt to re-install NOM, I get the following:

Should I try to install maybe jsut the 32 bit (which does seem to install/uninstall) and see if it will go?

James

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - in view o fthe bugs fixed it is worth considering an upgrade to 6.5.6 (well to 7.1.0.2 really!)

If you did that you could then download the Authentication and Authorisation software for 6.5.6 which may sort it for you.

If not then try to reinstall VxSSAT which is in the VxSSVRTSatSetup.exe in the ICS\Authentication folder.

If you can force that through then NOM should install.

If you have Z zip or similar then the VxSSVRTSatSetup.exe can be extracted so that you can right click on the instmsi.msi file and select "Repair" which may finally sort it out for you.